Chapter 12

"Silence is the most powerful scream."

I gasped in horror, freezing in shook. "Take her outside!"

Everything happened in fast speed, one moment I had Thomas' blood on my hands, still with him in my arms, and the other Vince was dragging me out of the room, leaving Thomas and that woman behind.

"Get off me!" I struggled to get off Vince's arms, but he kept me steady, pinning me against his chest. "Let me go, Vince!" I screamed, but my voice only sounded squeaky and weak, and Vince didn't do as I pleaded. Instead, he tightened his hold, his arms grabbing me firmly.

"Breathe," I heard him whisper in my ear, and when a sharp pain appeared on the tip my lungs, I realized I wasn't breathing since I got out of the room. I let out a sharp breath and gulped in the air fast, trying to control my shaking body. "I will let you go now."

As soon as I was free from his arms, my legs lost their strength to support me, making me stumble back. Vince tried to help me stand, but I rejected his help, stepping away from him until my back found a wall to support me. I crumbled to the floor then, pushing my hands through my hair and squeezing my roots.

I let out a heavy breath, my eyes widening at the side of my clothes and hands covered in blood.

Thomas's blood.

Images of him coughing that red liquid filled my thoughts, making me swallow hard. I felt nausea at the back of my throat, and before I knew it, I was vomiting everything I had on my stomach. I felt someone grabbing my hair during the process, but I was too dizzy to pain attention.

"Here." Vince muttered, handing me a tissue. I cleaned my mouth with it, feeling embarrassed and disgusted with myself. He sat beside me, murmuring me that I should sleep.

Sleep?

At this point, sleeping was the least of my worries. I just wanted to know how Thomas was. I just wanted to stop thinking, to forget these vicious images of him coughing blood. My heart sank in dread, dull sirens going off somewhere in my brain when a sharp question hit me.

What if he died? What if Thomas died?

I quickly closed my eyes, shaking my head in denial, my thoughts destroying me when a million of possibilities started creeping inside me. I tried not to think about it, but the silence was a killer too...

...

I was running. On the grass. The wind was blowing strong and wildly. My hair fell loosely over my shoulders, my bare feet feeling everything below as I kept running.

I didn't know where I was going. Maybe, I was running away from somewhere, someone...

I didn't have a clue.

All I knew was how good it felt. The sun kissing my skin. The magnificent landscapes. The unreachable trees flashing before me. The several flowers. Their addictive perfumes...

All of it was making me feel free. Welcomed. Powerful. It felt like I had the world in my hands.

I kept running for a long time, giggling every time I stumbled over my feet.

Then, out of nowhere, I stopped feeling the grass below me. Suddenly, I wasn't running anymore.

No. I was falling now, the wind like knives, ripping my clothes off, throwing me off my feet.

I shut my eyes fiercely, sensing the inevitable. A dreadful agonizing cold took full control when I felt the water. It froze my bones and flesh. I gasped for air, struggling to reach the surface, but my body wouldn't move. Invisible strong hands kept pulling me down and down and down...