Twenty Second: That Feeling

I think I can relax now, I sighed.

       I stood blankly at the counter, watching as people drink their frappes that Farrah made.

       I think Ethan being suspended could possibly give me a chance of winning, since he wouldn’t train as much as us now.  This is a good sign, I hope.

       After my duty, I went out to find my bike.  Only when I remembered that I didn’t bring it because I rode with my mom in the car this morning.  Walking to the beach, I thought, isn’t the best idea taking that the sun rays might burn me and my shoulders might hurt considering that I have a heavy bag to carry.  If only I had a driver’s license.

       So instead of wasting my time making a predictable decision, I started walking until the sun tries to kill me.

       The sun was really intense today.  There weren’t any clouds to block it.  I could feel my skin steaming, good thing I covered myself up with sunscreen.  I was half way there when my legs started to stumble.  I didn’t know if it was because of my heavy bag or if it was because of the sun trying to burn me.

       “Want a ride?”

       When I turned to look, I saw Ethan on his bike.  He brushed his fingers through his band aid, smudge of blood was visibly showing from the punching incident.

       Why would he offer me a ride?  And if I said yes, how could I fit in there with him?

       “You’re sweating.” He said.

       Before I could say yes, he grabbed my bag from my shoulders and placed it inside of the basket that was hanging in front.

       “Where will I sit?” I asked.

       “There’s still space left at the back. Or if you want you can sit here so you can drive.”

       “Then where will you sit?”

       “I can walk.” He said.

       “No. This is your bike so you drive. I’ll just sit at the back or just stand at that thing.” I pointed out to the pedal-kind-of-thing that was attached near the wheel.  It looked secured anyway and we didn’t have much time.  We didn’t want to arrive at the beach with burnt skin.

       When he sat at the seat, he gave a hand and helped me hop in.  It wasn’t the most comfortable ride, but it was worth it and I liked what he did for me.

       I couldn’t stop predicting about the fact that I could fall off anytime.  I’d never ridden at the back of the bike before.  I felt unsafe.

       “Just hold on to my shoulder.” He said as if he was reading my mind.  So I did.  And I thought that this was the perfect time to borrow his dad’s Mustang.

       He drove differently this time compared to when he drove the car.  He kept on swerving even though there wasn’t any reason on doing so.  It made me grip on his shoulders even tighter.

       “You scared?” he suddenly asked after making a sharp turn.

       “You almost killed that puppy!” I shouted.  “And you freaked those little kids who were playing ball!”

       “Hey, at least I kept you safe.”

       “Safe? I almost flew off because you were speeding too fast!”

       He didn’t respond. 

       Not too long, we arrived at the beach where I could see other swimmers approaching.  Ethan parked his bike slowly.  I reached the ground, thankful that I was still alive.  I didn’t know what this boy was thinking when we were on the way to the Summer Dance and he said that he was driving slow because he didn’t want us to die.  Where was that boy now?

       He pulled out my bag from the basket and gave it to me.

       “I’m sorry.” He made it sound so convincing.

       I sighed, “Just be careful next time, okay? Like when you drove that car, remember?”

       He smiled, “Okay, deal.”

       “Thanks.” I said. “Oh wait, aren’t you and Rick suspended?”

       “Yes we are. But coach said that even though we’re suspended, we should still stay and watch.”

       That idea wasn’t good.  I could imagine Ethan watching me as I do warm ups.  I hate it when someone’s observing me.  For me, observing is more of like judging quietly.

The sun had set, the class ended.  After rinsing myself, I sat at a rock, where I usually sat, and sorted out my things.

       “Do you have a ride home?” Ethan asked.

       “I’ll be riding with my dad and Andrew.” I said.

       “But I just saw them left.”

       “They left without me?”

       “Yeah.” He gestured to the parking lot and our car wasn’t there.  He was right.  Maybe they thought that I had my bike with me. “I wouldn’t do that to you.”

       He seemed to act like a nice boy right now and honestly, I was quite pleased.  It was the first time that he offered me a ride twice in a day.

       “Okay, I guess I will be riding with you again.” I zipped my bag, sounding like it wasn’t a big deal.

       “Come on then.”

       We walked to the parking lot.  Once we reached his bike, I handed my bag to him and he placed it in the basket.

       “I don’t feel safe riding at the back.” I confessed just before I hopped in.

       “Then sit at the front, it’s much safer.”

       I agreed.  The space at the front of the bike seemed harmless.  I could sit with my legs together and rest my feet at the bar underneath. 

       Once he sat, I budged in.  I sat in a slant position and clasped my hands on the bar between the handles.

       “Are you alright?” he asked.

       With him towering me and his arms stretched to grasp the handle, I could feel that I was more secured.

       “Yes.” I replied.

       Once again, I felt the magical feeling I had when we were at the dance floor.