Third: He's A Bad Kid

Third: He's A Bad Kid

I turned ten.  The age where all I ever wanted was a stiff doll.  The age where choosing an ice cream flavor was the hardest decision.  And the age where Santa Claus was still real.

       Mom decided to open up a café.  It was called The Warman’s.  I thought it was a cheesy name but I couldn’t do anything about it.  It seemed that they all agreed the moment mom said it. 

       There had been a festival going in the beach where different sporty games were played: beach volleyball, surfing and swimming.

       I built a sand castle that took me almost an hour since I couldn’t join any games because I was too little.  The older kids would always laugh at me because I looked so tiny and maybe useless to even smack a tiny ball.  So I would just sit and continue on building my own castle.  It wasn’t that big.  Not even big for my doll.  But to me, it was.

       The sun was beginning to set when I found a still shadow just lying on the ground.  I slowly turned around, accepting its suspense.  Then it was him again, Ethan.

       “Stay away from it!” I stretched my arms to protect the sand castle, stepping closer to him so that he wouldn’t touch it.

       “I’m not afraid of you.”

       “I’m not afraid of you either.” I raised a brow and gave my mean look.  I hope it would help scare him, but it looked like it didn’t.

       “What’s that? Your little mansion?” he asked.

       “Get off from it!” I screamed.  I saw the shock from the older kids’ faces but couldn’t really tell if they were surprised or just plainly teasing me again.

       Before I knew it, he ran and escaped my sight. 

       Once I turned, the castle was crumbling, sands were trembling and demolished.  As crappy as it had been, I still put a lot of hard work on it and it didn’t deserve to be that way.

       This is it.  I turned to him and pushed him as hard as I could.  He finally lost his balance and tripped over a log.  He hurt his ankle and might even have broken his neck.  Yet, I felt strong and it felt good.  I finally stood up for myself instead of running away.

       The first time I didn’t cry.