Thirty Second: Seconds

The very first thing that I’ve noticed within myself was that I became stronger.  Stronger, not because my flu had gotten away; but stronger because I was able to stand up from the boy who was trying so hard to put me down.  No, I don’t choose to cry and lock myself in my room like a hopeless Cinderella.  I am going to do my thing.  I will win this competition.

       I woke up at 4am, got dressed and went to the location, where the competition is being held.  The place was bigger and wider.  Dad pulled the car and we began to unload our things.

       “Woah, is this ten times bigger or what?” Andrew scanned the area.

       I quickly looked for the yellow flags, and they were floating so far.  I couldn’t take my jumper off because of the freezing wind.  The sun hadn’t got up yet.  It was dark and the crew was beginning to put the lights up.  My nerves were starting to get nervous.

       “Are you ready?”

       Bridget wore a black robe with her swimmers underneath.  Her hair was tied up, same as mine.

       “Ready as can ever be.” I gave her a smirk which tells that everything will work fine.

       “You really need to go out there and prove him wrong.”

       “Yes. I think I should.” I said softly.

       “You know you should.” She rested her hands on my shoulder. “Don’t give up, okay?  You have every right to do the best you can.  You’re a great girl, Sayd.  You’re strong and you know it.  You don’t deserve a boy like him.  Trust me.”  She gave me a long, warm hug and quietly whispered, “Bridget knows everything.”

*****

As soon as the sun rose, everybody was warming up.  There were a lot of swimmers coming.  The judges were preparing and jotting all of our names down. 

       Everybody was busy.  Coaches were all around the places, giving their last advice to the competitors.  Parents and friends of the swimmers also came with their own tents to spend the day with.  The crowds were large, all waiting for the start.  They also have their banners with them.

       “Saydie,” dad came to me.

       “Yeah?”

       “Make me proud.”

       I know he meant it.  This time around, I’ll do anything to make my dad happy.

It was fifteen minutes before the game.  I kept shaking.  The “swimming pair” was up first, which means two swimmers from the same team will race up to the yellow flag and back.  And the one who wins will be introduced as a finalist for the next championship.  I was feeling the pressure.  I was directed to the starting line and was told to get ready.  I sorted my strategies, I tried to focus. 

       I did some flexing and stretching to help me boost up.  The crowd was getting thicker and it almost filled the whole beach area.  I could spot everyone I know.  Farrah, who was wearing her casual look, was lined up in an ice cream queue.  Rachel, who was pretty much conscious about her blonde locks, was sitting on her purple matt, flipping her hair, and right next to her was a girl who I think was older than her.  Oh, wait, maybe that was her mom.  She looked younger than I thought.  I also spotted mom who was with her coffee friends standing, probably looking for Andrew and I.  I raised a hand so she could see me.  My classmates were also there, I could name a few.

       Anyway, there was only ten minutes left until the big competition.  I breathed heavily..  Almost forgot about-

       “-Ethan, here’s the starting line.” The crew said, motioning right next to me, “Game will start in nine minutes.  Good luck.” He patted our backs.

       If things would get any better, really.

       I didn’t look at him the second I felt that he was there.  I focused on the ocean in front of me instead, accepting its peaceful sound.  Wishing he wouldn’t talk to me.  Still wishing.

The silence was still loud between the both of us.  Minutes would just be seconds in a second.  I could feel the anger I want to throw him, but I guess I’d just save it for later, during the race.  I took a chance to look at him from the corner of my eyes, but to my surprise, he wasn’t there.  He was gone.  I stood still trying hard to scan him in an unobvious way, of course.  I tried to not care about it, but how could I not?  Who would I be racing with if he wasn’t here?

       I began to panic and called for my dad.

       “Where is he?!”