Chapter Thirty Nine

Marshall minions, I'm sorry it's been so long! A week and some odd days is horrible writing time for me, but if you read the end of the chapter in the author's note, you'll find out why. :l Banner on the right made by the lovely RosiePaige, mad props, and let's get reading!(:

---

Morning came too swiftly for me to be satisfied, and I was awakened by soft kissing along the curve of my jaw. Eyes fluttering open and adjusting to the light, I saw Marshall, still in bed beside me, gazing down adoringly.

"Morning, Dri," he greeted, planting one last kiss.

"Morning," I mumbled back, and rubbed at my eyes to discard of the goop shutting them partially.

"We never finished our game of truth or dare last night," he reminded as I switched the position I was laying in order to view him better.

"You wanna play some more? I don't know why we call it truth or dare; we barely do any dares," I smiled.

"Yeah, let's pick up where we left off."

"Who's turn?"

"Your turn," he chuckled as he dipped his head to kiss me ever so lightly again on the smooth contours of my lips.

"Do you ever regret being a celebrity?"

"Sometimes," he admitted after a deeply ponderous moment. "But I have reasons as to why and why not I regret it. I don't regret it because all I wanted was for my skill to be noticed, and I knew I could make it; I just needed a chance. I love making music and just music in general. It keeps me young. And by doing exactly what I love, I get to provide for my girls more than I could have ever had I not been famous. Hell...had I not been famous, we'd be still struggling. I didn't even graduate high school." A sheepish pause. "It has its' ups and downs. Everything I do is put under a microscope. But I try to ignore as much of it as possible."

"Is it hard?"

"I used to be controversial, and I still am, you know, but it's gotten easier to handle over time." Inspecting me, his eye twitched and a smile lifted his lips. "I ask you now?"

"Yeah. Give me a truth." Wriggling up against his warm torso, I sighed contently and shoved back loose locks of hair that had fallen into my face.

"I don't know if I've asked you this before...but what did you first think of me when you saw me? Did you ever think you could be with someone like me?" He was almost reluctant to continue, but once he began speaking, he continued his words well.

"That's a hard one. I remember, I thought you were attractive. Your eyes, your face. The way you were so into the crowd and you were doing, obviously, what you loved. I liked that about you. And no. I never even gave us a second in my head. And that was because I thought you were too good for me. I knew you were single because Luna had this obsession with you and she knew all about your relationship status and shit, but I just couldn't see it. I mean, you're a celebrity. We were complete opposites. I didn't know a thing about you."

"You thought I was too good for you?" Shaking his head in disbelief, he chuckled once more, the sound of it rippling through the base of his throat.

"Well...yeah. I mean, look at me." Shrugging my saggy shoulders, I lowered my eyes, and in turn, I could feel his stare upon me, my body, and my face lingeringly.

"I am looking at you," he murmured. "And I can't even believe it."

"Believe what?"

"I would have never thought something like this could happen to me. Something like you. It just blows me away, Dri."