Chapter Thirty Three

Hey, my Marshall minions(: I'm going to keep the intro very short and simple, but definitely check out the author's note at the end of this chapter, it's important! And sorry about the hella weird spacing, my computer was being blah. :l

---

I drove myself home from work promptly at one thirty, which gave me time to change from my more formal attire into something zoo-appropriate. I settled on a pair of dark-wash skinny jeans, black flats, and a chic matching black jacket, topped off with a favorite creme scarf of mine. The weather would be windy, as it had been predicted and as I had experienced in the morning, so I opted for warmer layers of clothing.

When Marshall and the girls came into the driveway, I was already pulling on my shoes and toussling my hair as a final touch. Instead of his typical beefy car, Marshall was instead behind the wheel of a luxurious Mercedes Benz, and I was welcomed by various caring greetings as I seated myself in the empty front seat. Marshall planted a kiss on my cheek as I fumbled with my keys and silenced my cell phone clumsily, and it was then that we were off.

---

"How far do I have to go from here?" Marshall inquired, tilting his head to get a good view of the cars surrounding us. I grasped the GPS Navigator in my hands and stared at the screen until accurate directions were shown. We had left the area around my house and were now doing what we could to arrive at the zoo.

"It says head south on Van Dyke Avenue in the direction of East Eleven Mile," I reported back to him.

"Then what?"

"Then you're supposed to take the first right onto East Eleven Mile Road."

"Okay good. Jesus, Hailie, when was the last time we came to the zoo?" Smirking, he lifted his head so he could view his daughters in the driver's mirror, all seated primly in the seats a row behind us.

"It's been a while. Four years maybe?" Hailie estimated.

"I bet you're just dying to see the giraffes, Daddy," Whitney teased, giggling, and they all broke out into raucous laughter. Assuming it was an inside joke, I smiled modestly and turned my head to Marshall.

"I like giraffes too," I stated.

"It's not that, Dri," Marshall chuckled. "I actually hate them. They scare the crap out of me." Shrugging his shoulders, a grin dancing on his lips, I playfully tapped his arm lightly.

"That's a bad word," Whitney declared authoritatively.

"My bad, honey. And I don't want to hear you say that word either, Whitney."

"Turn right here, Marshall," I interrupted softly, and he did as was ordered, the car falling quiet except for the distant chatter in the back seats.

His hands gripping the steering wheel, his throat began to gradually rumble with the beginning of what turned out to be humming. He vocalized for a few short minutes more, then Whitney clapped her hands enthusiastically and sharply.

"Sing it, Daddy," she demanded, beaming.

"You gotta tell me what song it is first though," Marshall played along, a faint smile curling his lips as his eyes remained fastened on the road.

"Hailie's Song," all three of them chimed in complete sync, and in barely a second, Marshall's small smile turned into a goofy, crooked grin.

"That's my girls," he stated proudly, tenderness shining in his brilliant eyes.

"Sing it for us," Hailie requested, and he cleared his throat, shifting his body to become more comfortable in the limited seat space.

"Baby, baby, the only lady that I adore, Hailie," he sang smoothly, tossing me a wink as if to contradict the line he'd said. "So sayonara, try tomorrow, nice to know ya, my baby's traveled back into the arms of her rightful owner, and suddenly it seems my shoulder blades have just shifted, it's like the greatest gift you can get, the weight has been lifted. And now it don't feel like the world is on my shoulders, everyone's leaning on me. 'Cause my baby knows that her daddy is a soldier, nothing can take her from me-eee!"