CONTROL

My phone was ringing on the bedside drawer.

The monotonous ringtone piercing my ears, jarring me out of a lazy Sunday sleep.

I reached out for the phone and pressed the switch on the edge. It automatically stopped ringing.

I turned over, hugging my soft side pillow and sank back into sleep.

Almost immediately the phone started ringing again.

Irritated, I forced my eyes open and snatched up the phone, ready to switch it off, when the name flashed on my screen.

‘DANIEL CALLING’ it said, with a picture of him grinning at the camera.

I yawned and answered the call.

“Phoebe?” his uncertain voice enquired from the other end.

“Yes, it’s me,” I replied sleepily.

“I’m really sorry,” he said.

His voice sounded groggy.

“For what?” I asked. “And why are you sounding so weird?”

“I know I promised to take you to Sarah’s place today, but I’ve a bad headache and I can’t shift it.”

“Were you out drinking last night?” I asked. It came out harsher than I meant and he bit back.

“Hey I don’t drink, remember.  I don’t know why I’ve got it.  I’ve tried the usual pain killers but nothing’s helping.”

“Then go to the doctor’s like you promised. I bet you’ve taken a handful of aspirin haven’t you?”

“Please, don’t start in on me,” he pleaded. “I promise I will make an appointment today.”

“Good. And you don’t need to worry about me. I was going to the orphanage alone long before I met you... You just get better.”

“Umm...Phoebe, there is something else I wanted to ask; it’s a kind of a favour?”

I was smiling now, it was rare for anyone to ask me for something.

“Anything I can do,” I promised.

“Don’t go to Sarah’s place today.”

“What? Why? You know, with college and all, Sunday is the only day when I get to meet the kids,” I was exasperated.

“I know all that, but with those goons hanging around it just doesn’t feel safe you being in the area alone. Tomorrow, we could take a day off college. It’s no big deal, neither have a lecture.  Only, please don’t go without me?”

“That’s just giving in to them,” I said. “I do not let bullies win!”

“Then take your Mom along, or I’ll even ask mine to drop you off and pick you up. She won’t mind...”

“Don’t you dare bother either of them,” I ordered. “Sebastian and his idiots have been trying this for two years. They haven’t got the guts to really do something.”

“Why are you being so stubborn about this?" he said. I could hear he was really irritated and trying to hang on to his temper.

“Because you have no right to tell what I should do, boyfriend or not! You are not going to start getting all possessive...”

“And which romantic fiction have you been reading this time!” he retorted. “Stupid me for even caring that you might be in danger... This has nothing to do with being your boyfriend Phoebe and everything to do with keeping you safe!”

I didn’t give him the chance to carry on. I just disconnected the call and hurled the phone across the bed.

“Mom, is my feed ready?” I yelled. “I’m going to the orphanage and I’m on my own this morning...”

Edited by lindajonesAuthor

A/N Do you think Phoebe is being stubborn or is Daniel being paranoid?

Your feedback means the world to me.

Thanks for supporting me.