CALM

Daniel's POV

I watched the man like a hawk as he finally staggered to his feet.

Blood dripped from his head; a smeared red handprint stained the creamy wall. I pulled out my mobile.

"I'm calling the police," I said.

"No," Phoebe gripped my arm. "Please, don't. It'll just make things worse."

"Worse..?" I stared down at her, then across at Sarah. I was fighting to keep the still bubbling anger at bay, trying to understand. "That man tried to kill you, Phoebe. He threatened all of you, Sarah..."

"None of us go out at night," Sarah said. "I daren't let the kids out on the streets on their own, even during the daytime... And before you start, the police won't do anything anyway..."

Both the women looked as stubborn as hell.

"Just get out!" Phoebe ordered turning to face the still shaken Paul. "Get out before I change my mind and report you. And tell that bully Sebastian to go find somewhere else to buy. This place is not for sale!"

He stumbled out through the side door. The window rattled in its frame as he slammed it shut behind him.

Phoebe sank onto the couch. I could see her whole body was shaking.

"Too close," she whispered. "How much longer can we keep them off, Sarah?"

"You've got to report this," I said, "You can't just let them get away with it. Surely, the police would have to protect the kids. Contact your congressman or..."

"Don't you think we've tried!" Sarah's words were sharp, angry. She bit them off, pulling the two children closer. "Don't be naive Daniel. Sebastian has access to millions. He can buy off anyone he likes."

"Idiots like him should be locked up — his thug could've strangled you. How can they just let them roam around...? What if he'd killed you...?" I couldn't stop the rage building. Once the fire was lit it was like this unstoppable force.

"Sssh," Phoebe said, trying to soothe. "Everything will be okay. He didn't dare hurt me with you there. I'm safe, I'm fine."

"Safe..?" I thumped the wall; I had to do something with all that anger. "Some sort of protector I am. He almost killed you!"

"Calm down, everything is okay," she said again and held up her hands the palms toward me.

"You don't understand what it does to me, Phoebe. Seeing bullies like that... he had his hands around your neck..."

Before I could thump my fist into the wall again she'd slammed into my back, hugging me tight. Her thin arms encircled my chest holding hard.

Every nerve in my body was raging. I struggled not to pull away. This was Phoebe...

"Turn and look at me," she whispered.

"Phoebe I..."

"Just trust me and look – at – me,"

It was impossible to refuse her. She took my hand, placed it on my own chest – over my heart.
"What can you feel?" she asked me

I wanted to say 'nothing' — felt the sullen twist of my lips.

"Just tell me what you feel?' she asked gently.

"My heart – racing fast," I finally admitted.

"Now close your eyes and concentrate on each beat..."

Weird, I thought, but she had her hand over mine and I was already feeling calmer. I began to count heartbeats. By the time I'd reached forty my pulse was slowing rapidly.

"So, did that help?" she asked. I could hear the humour in her voice.

I blinked down and saw she was smiling.

"Some," I admitted.

The truth was my poor self-control had landed me in a heap of trouble over the past few years. This was a definite turn around, although I wasn't sure if being de-stressed by Phoebe was such good news... Was I really falling that hard so quickly?

"Which charm did you cast?" I said trying for lightness.

"It's a small trick my mom taught me. I use it to calm myself down when I get too frustrated with life... I learnt it when I was a kid."

She was still close, so I wrapped my arm around her shoulder. She didn't pull away.

"Do you have any more tricks up those long sleeves of yours?" I asked her.

"Plenty," she laughed and I felt the last of my tension falling away.

Edited by lindajonesAuthor

A/N Do you practice this calming technique? What are your ways to deal with frustration?

Your feedback means the world to me.

Thanks for supporting me throughout this book for the Wattys!