13 : The Spring Ball

Start from the beginning

Ashton's sentence lingered in the end, almost as if he was blaming her. "I'm dealing with a headache," Eva blurted. Her tone was rude, and Ashton caught up that she meant him. Eva felt bad, but she was too occupied to comfort him. She needed Trudy because she was overthinking about Zarek again.

His light blue eyes shifted nervously to his drink, sucking on it. "I would love to buy you some painkillers," Ashton offered, frowning his face at the taste of the beverage, "But I'm afraid that would make me wanted."

Eva only half snorted at his cheesy line, watching his vivid red cup. Eva was getting more and more curious on what the substance was.

Ashton sucked more on his cup. "But that's-"

"What are you drinking?" Eva cut him off.

He pointed at his cup. "This?" Ashton frowned his brown eyebrows, taking a sip and lingered it in his mouth. "I think it's strawberry juice. Yeah, definitely strawberry juice."

Eva nodded, eyeing it. "Is it any good?"

Ashton shook his head. "Oh, no, it's awful." Ashton took another long sip.

Eva was perplexed at his irony. Her hazel eyes scanned the crowd until it landed on Ryan. Before she even knew it, she mumbled a few apologetic words and sprinted to Ryan.

So she did come off rude with Ashton despite trying not to, but it was nothing personal. The conversation was way too awkward, not to mention the fact that she wasn't the least bit interested. It wasn't like Ryan was any different, but at least she would be comfortable since they were friends. She wouldn't hang with him for long anyways, just enough to find Trudy.

Ryan was standing next to the beverages' table, the previous 'awful' strawberry juice was in a bowl next to a pack of clear plastic cups. Ryan cheered as he poured himself two cups, each in one hand. He was about to chug them down his throat when Eva tapped his shoulder.

Ryan's relaxed green eyes rested on Eva. "Hey, Evan, how ya doing?" Ryan slurred, shoving one of the cups in her hands, "There you go. Enjoy."

Evangeline sniffed the cup and cringed. She looked at the red liquid through her clear plastic cup and frowned in disgust. She couldn't believe that her school would allow alcohol in a ball. She seriously needed to make a complain to the principal, Mrs Biggun, about keeping an eye on the students' behavior. I'm talking like I have the guts to actually do it.

Eva put the cup on the table. She pushed her straight, red hair back as the flashing lights danced on her face. "I'm not drinking that."

Ryan's forest green eyes glowed everytime the light crossed it. Ryan patted Eva's shoulder. "Good girl. I'm proud of you," he said, looking directly at Eva's soft, hazel eyes, "You are good with everything. I wonder if you are good at se-"

Eva frowned. She pushed his hand off her shoulder and took a step back. "Are you drunk?" she interrupted before things got awkward forever. It seemed like Ashton was a better option now, but it was too late for go back, wasn't it?

Ryan ignored her question. With Eva retreating away, he had a better look at her. He gestured with his hand at the whole Evangeline, his forest green eyes getting darker as they looked her up and down. "Look at you, gorgeous as always."

Eva glanced at her little black dress and white snickers. A red flannel was lazily knotted around her waist. She thought her look was casual and plain. Nonetheless, she smiled at Ryan's complement. "Thanks."