Two: Mica Freak and Kathers

• Dedicated to MIKA <3

The rest of the school day was going by fast. Every single class, so far, had Mica get up and introduce himself. When the teacher found out he was dyslexic, they'd get super upset. Eventually, Mica wasn't so scared about getting up and introducing himself to the class. He was already getting used to a new school.

I was his only friend (so far). I normally sit with Angel for lunch, but I told her I'd be sitting with Mica. She was actually really proud that I made friends with him and encouraged me to sit with him for as long as I needed to. She promised me she'd be fine.

"Are you sure you don't want to sit with us?" I asked Angel.

"Yeah, it's okay, I'm going to sit with Ellie today. Have fun, though." she said, waving goodbye and then walking away. I turned away, too, and hopped into the lunch line. I picked up a salad, a cookie, and some soda. I paid for my lunch, got out of the cafeteria and went to the lunch tables.

"Kather!" I heard someone call. I looked around until I found Mica, who was waving at me. I went up to him.

"So where do you want to sit?" I asked him. He was holding a blue lunch bag with his name written on it.

"Here's fine." he said, sitting down at the nearest table, and I did the same. He bit into an apple as I opened up my salad. I poured in the creamy ranch dressing, trying to coat every green leaf of lettuce with it. I added the croutons and a bit of sprinkled cheese. Then, I took my plastic fork and stabbed at my salad.

"So what's it like in Paris?" I asked after swallowing. He seemed intrigued in the conversation already.

"Oh, well, it is absolutely beautiful. The buildings are amazing. I actually had a view of the Eiffel Tower from my bedroom window." Mica explained.

"Do you miss it there?" I asked. I wonder what it would be like to see the world-famous Eiffel Tower from your window. That would be an amazing life.

"Sort of. Not really. But I wouldn't mind going back to visit. Actually, I really like it here in London." Mica said.

I nodded, showing I understood. After that, we ate in silence until Mica piped up again.

"Katherine, what did Mrs. Jane tell you?" he asked me. I was completely caught off-guard by his question. I simply looked at him. What am I supposed to say? I don't want to hurt his feelings.

"Be honest, okay?" he added.

"Mica, I...she said that she didn't know how she could teach you in class if..." I tried to be as honest and nice as possible. My sentence sounded better in my head than it did out loud.

"I knew this was going to happen." he closed his eyes and covered his face with his hands.

"Mica it's-"

"Katherine, I'm a freak, okay!" he raised his voice at me. I didn't know what to do. "I'm a lost cause, seriously. Why are you wasting your time with me anyways."

I didn't know what to say to that. His words replayed in my head over and over again.

Katherine, I'm a freak, okay? I'm a lost cause. Why are you wasting your time with me anyways?

What was I supposed to say? He was looking at me like I should say something encouraging to make him feel better. I wanted to say something, but I had nothing.

"Mica freak." was all I said. Why did I say it? I had no idea. I immediately regretted saying it. What if he took it as something offensive?

"Mica freak?" he repeated. A huge smile grew on his face, and before I knew it, he was laughing like crazy.