29: The Diviine Decision

Start from the beginning

"To hell with that!" Madeena exclaimed. "I do not deserve to die."

"Nor does any of us," Ameri said, voice growing husky with sorrow.

"We've been at this for hours now," Nabea said. "We should prepare our hearts and minds for the Diviine Decision. They will be here soon."

Dana burst into tears again, and everyone slowly dispersed. Mageia looked at the other Sacreds and wondered who the Diviines, or rather the crooked Priesthood, would choose to Clear. They would receive a Cleared Mark, a circle upon their neck, like many Fair elders received once they reached the age of seventy. To be cleared of any future defects and anointed as Fair in the eyes of the Diviine Six.

Mageia prayed they would choose Dana, the youngest of them all. Only 15 years old, the same age as Faebrin. She had more to see in life. But then Don, the poor 17-year-old with his blood disease, pressing a new handkerchief against his bleeding nose, also did not deserve to die. Despite their crimes, Sadon, Madeena, and Rasni did not need to die as well.

And Ameri, the leader of the Blesseds and one part of Mageia and Dean's plan to assist her family in leaving Ardania, most likely had many unfortunate people to help. Nabea, the eldest of them, had mentioned earlier while they planned their daring escape that she had five grandchildren she would have loved to watch grow up.

Rasni, still sitting on his bed, continued eating from his plate of food. Mageia avoided looking at him to prevent another wave of nausea, but then Sadon gave him a disgusted look.

"How in god's name are you able to eat at a time like this?"

The fat man growled and glared up from his plate. "This is how I cope, you stupid giant."

"Fut you, mother of all pigs," Sadon barked back.

"Watch how you speak to me. I know the gods have chosen me Fair enough to be Cleared," Rasni boasted. "You will see."

"If the gods didn't care about us before, what makes you think they do now?" Don probed.

"I've made mistakes, but I've made up for it tenfold," Rasni said.

"How? By feeding your fat ass?" Sadon joked.

This brought unexpected chuckles and smiles from everyone. Mageia shook her head at this nonsense. Rasni definitely had issues, and Sadon could've nailed a job as a comedian.

"You Strange people can laugh all you want. I know they have chosen me. I've dreamt about it before," Rasni said.

"When? After your last great feeding?" Sadon taunted, bursting into laughter.

"Shut it, you simple giant."

"It amazes me how you think calling out my past kin is an insult," Sadon said. "At least we grew tall. Yours seemed to grow wide."

Everyone burst out laughing. Even Madeena shifted from her moment of sorrow to chuckle. Rasni threw a piece of bread at Sadon. The giant deflected it, but only burst into more laughter. Rasni's fluffy cheeks reddened, and his lips pursed with anger.

Mageia looked at the smiles on everyone's faces and mentally soaked it in. Though darkness sat ahead for everyone except one, they managed to find a moment to laugh. Then, like the inevitable action of evil, hard footsteps approached the open door, and the temple soldiers outside stood at attention with their salutes.

Ser Conner Esleaf appeared, adding more tension to the room.

"Rise and return to the foot of your beds," he ordered. The boom of his voice held a silent threat to obey.