3: Truths and Promises

Once they had dismissed the children to the supervision of their best sitters, the ten Elders joined to continue the dark topic at the Pit.

"Fae, yuh should've came to Geia or me instead of sayin' it in front of the children," Dean said, eyes furious.

"I know. I'm sorry, but it bothered me, and it couldn't wait 'til after the meeting," Faebrin said, shoulders tensing up and almost touching his earlobes.

"Dean, we have to do something," Mageia said.

"What do yuh suggest we do, huh? Rescue them?" he questioned, widening his eyes at her as if she'd lost her mind.

"Yes," she said, hands clenched at her sides. "Children are supposed to live and enjoy life. Not be dehumanized and die in front of reckless fools who enjoy the sight of blood. I know how that feels, remember?"

"Geia ..." Dean said, shifting his feet and giving an irritated sigh.

"I agree with Geia," Jaice said, loud and quick. "We have rescued many children over the years."

"Yes, but the Taefo is the hardest," Dean said. "We managed to rescue three children—three from there long ago—" he jabbed three fingers in the air, "—Esan, Esa, and Jayta, may she rest in peace."

Mageia swallowed hard to restrain the grief from losing 10-year-old Jayta to her blood disease two years ago. She was surrounded by family when she passed peacefully into the Hall of Souls.

"And we still cannot thank you both enough," 16-year-old Esan said, rubbing his twin sister's back. They both shared a similar sunken face due to their heads mashing in the womb. His left eye, too small with poor vision, was covered with a black patch, while his sister's right eye, also very small, constantly blinked.

"Rescuing someone from the Taefo—let alone a group—is risky," Dean said.

"But it's possible," Mageia said, ignoring him.

Dean approached her, grabbed her by the arms, and peered into her face. "Geia. Remember the countless times tryin' to rescue children from there? They all failed. They all ended up being recaptured and facin' the slice either way."

"But we were children then. We are grown now," she said, breaking free from him to look at the teens. "We have trained our entire lives to scout orphanages, slave holds, temples, and infirmaries, learning and studying how to maneuver with stealth. For gods' sakes, we've picked too many crowds to keep count. Why not scope the Taefo with the daylight we have left and just see if it's even possible to do a rescue?"

"The Taefo has expanded since our last attempt," Dean said.

"It has expanded, but I cannot say so for the security and the staff," Faebrin said.

"How many children did you see?" Mageia asked.

"At least three little ones bounded by chains," he replied.

"Did yuh hear how many children they already have inside?" Dean interrogated in pure annoyance.

"No, but I can find out," he said.

Dean shook his head. "No. I don't want yuh going back there."

"But the patrollers are familiar with me. They think I'm some Strange with family inside," he said.

"He's right, Dean. Faebrin's been keeping an eye on the place, so he'd know what to look for," Mageia said.

"I promise to be careful," Faebrin said. The light from the sun made his blonde curls shiny as they bounced from his assuring nod.