Chapter 30: Date

Chapter 30: Date

Ana's POV

I hear murmurs, distant murmurs as my brain tries to register my surroundings. There is a dull throbbing on my lower abdomen which gets worse when I try to move. I slowly open my eyes but close them again because of the blinding lights above me.

I feel a hand take mine in their grasp. "Ana", I hear Christian whisper.

I try to open my eyes again, try to focus on his hand on mine but I feel too tired for that. Why am I so tired? I try to respond to Christian, to tell him I'm awake, just too tired to open my eyes. But my throat is parched... I need water.

I open my eyes again, this time more cautiously and focus on my surroundings. It is then I register the sound of the monitor and tubes inserted on both of my hands.

"How are you", Christian says but his voice is too loud... why is he too loud?

"I'm...", I croak as I try to form a sentence.

"Here, drink some water, the doctor said to give it to you when you wake up."

He helps me up as he gives me the cup. I eagerly drink the water and glance at him. He is staring at me intensely, so intensely it feels like he is burning a hole through me. I hand him the cup once I'm finished and he places it on the bedside table.

"Hi", I whisper.

"Hi", he says, still staring at me.

"How long have I been out?", I ask.

"Four hours after the surgery", he says as my eyes widens. Have been I really been out for this long? I look at him with questioning eyes but he says nothing. He is acting weird. "What's wrong", I say as I cautiously touch my face to check if something's there.

He gently takes my hand in his hands as he brings it up to his lips and kisses the back of my palm. "I've been so scared, Ana", he whispers. "The only thing going through my head the whole time you were out was 'She can't die. Fate can't be so cruel to take her from me again'."

At his words, my heart melts. He said he loves me before I went into the surgery. And now this, what did I do to deserve someone like Christian?

"Well, fate listened to you, didn't it?", I offer him a small smile which he reciprocates, though it doesn't reach his eyes. "Come here", I tug his hand gently as he carefully sits on my bed. I try to scoot a little but when I move, there is a sharp pain in my lower abdomen. I gasp loudly and instantly my hand goes over the spot where it still feels like burning.

"Ana! Why are you moving!", Christian scowls as he immediately gets up and Dr. Gerald enters.

"Mrs. Grey", she greets as she comes near the bed. "How are you feeling?" she asks as she checks the monitor and writing down the information.

"It still hurts on my lower abdomen", I mumble.

"It's because the effect of anesthesia is wearing out but it should get better soon", she says with a smile on her face.

"So... how did the surgery go?" I ask and see Christian freeze, but ignore him and focus on Dr. Gerald. Something tells me this is not going to be good.

"Ana... the tumor was larger than it was detected in the test results. We could get most of it out, but we need more surgeries than expected", she says very bluntly.

I barely register Christian taking my hand in his. My heart is pounding so fast. This cannot be happening. When I finally started to get my hopes up, this is the last thing I wanted to hear.