Chapter 11: Different Angle

(Christian's POV)

"Hello, I'm Mila", the girl says with an extra toothy grin as she sees me. Something about her warms me up. It seems I have seen her before but I cannot remember her. It isn't a pleasant feeling and I suddenly regret coming here to meet Sabrina rather than having a perfect evening with Ava. We would've watched movies, have our pizzas and have a good laugh. But no, I chose this.

"Hey lil' girl", I give her a fist so she could bump it. Its the normal meeting style that Ava & I use.

She looks at me with confusion and I chuckle a bit as I teach her how to fist bump.

"What are you doing here with Dr. Claire?", I ask Mila.

Sabrina clears her throat, drawing our attention towards her. "She came in with a patient and Dr. Gerald has ME take her to the play area", she makes actions with her hands to emphasize her point.

"And why isn't she there?", I ask her.

"Because I was already late and you were meeting me so I was like fuck it she'll roam with me.", she says and comes near me and plays with the top button of my shirt. Just a minute ago she was stopping me for a PDA and now look.

"Hey! Baby ears here!", I cover Mila's ears as she says that. Why doesn't this woman know when to shut up?! Surgeons are known for saying stuff mildly and discreetly and here she is, full on bitching mode about a pre schooler! In front of her!

"Oh shoot, sorry!", she quickly apologizes, having no regret in her eyes.

"Why are you so pissed off today?", I look into Sabrina's eyes.

"Because I was pulled out of an awesome surgery to go into oncology today!", she says with utter regret.

"Oncology isn't bad, I mean it is but you are helping more needy people today", I try and reassure her but of course she won't listen. That's what I hate about her. She never listens. Even when someone is comforting her, she would shout at them and then apologize a million times for it later. And she isn't that young to be this reckless.

"Oh shoot! I have to check of this patient Dr. Robbins told me. Oh God , why me!", she whines, completely ignoring me of course.

"Okay.. so.. I am gonna go now..", I was ready to leave, infact happy when she says-

"Can you please take care of this girl? Pretty please, with extra cheese, for me?!", she pleads and jerks Mila forward to which the girl frowns.

"But can't you just drop her at the play area?"

"I'm really late Chrissy, please, I love you, bye!" and she runs and I holler "Its not Chrissy!" while successfully get annoyed glances but she is gone. Never in my 34 years of life has someone called me 'Chrissy'. I was polite enough to say nothing but now there is a limit.

I look at the little girl and find her staring at me. Her stare gives me warm yet uneasy feeling. It's like she is reading me, but cannot decipher me. Her brows are furrowed and she tilts her head ever so slightly. She looks cute but mature for her age.

"So, lets sit and wait for Sab- Dr. Claire I suppose?", I suggest.

"Nah. That'll be too boring.", she says. "Take me to the play area the doctor was saying."

"I don't know..", it is true, i'll admit. I never really paid any attention to the hospital. I just come here to meet Sabrina, a task i've never done in my life - to go meet the person i'm dating.