"I was wondering if you wanted to get lunch after the service?" She asked, her voice suddenly sweet. I raised an eyebrow at the back of her head, but I wasn't really surprised. A little weird to ask someone out at a funeral, but Lucas was definitely a lady's man. He was definitely attractive and any girl would be lucky to date him, it was a shame he had yet to find his mate. If there was anyone deserving of finding their mate, it was him. It sucked that I found mine first.

"Actually, I'm having lunch with my sister," Lucas answered, shooting me a grin. I grinned back and once again Cindy spun around and scowled at me. She flipped her long hair before stalking off, going back to sit with her friends. Lucas made a face and I couldn't help the chuckle that escaped my lips, which my mother nudged me for. I quickly sobered up as Lucas slid into the pew next to me, wrapping an arm around my shoulders. I went to open my mouth to tease him about turning down Cindy, but the funeral started before I could.

I wasn't terribly sure how long a funeral was supposed to last, seeing as this was the first one I remembered, but after what felt like forever the service finally ended. My parents didn't waste any time to stand up and converse with other pack members. Lucas sighed before doing the same, knowing he had to since he was future Alpha. I stood up with him and stayed by his side, but didn't butt into his conversations. Not like other pack members would have let me since I could see the slight disgust in their eyes at the pack's runt being in the presence. That was, of course, until someone caught my attention.

"I'll be right back," I muttered to Lucas. He gave me a short nod and I took that as my chance to head towards the back of the church. He was leaned up against the wall and waiting for me, wearing blue jeans and a plain black shirt. He looked attractive, but I pushed that thought to the back of my head. He shouldn't be at the funeral.

"I wasn't aware packs had churches," He told me once I reached him. Butterflies circled around my stomach at the sound of his voice.

"They're mostly used for special occasions, since we do believe in the wolf spirits. You shouldn't be here," I told him, keeping my voice low. He gently took ahold of my arm and pulled me down the hallway until we were away from listening ears.

"I'm just here taking pride in my work," He shrugged. I gulped when I processed what he meant. He was only here to bask in the glory of knowing that he killed Abby and Kevin. He didn't care about the amount of people that were crying over their bodies, instead he probably loved seeing people in pain because of what he did. He truly was a monster.

"Please leave," I mumbled, turning my head away from him. A growl rumbled in his chest but my words didn't make him walk away.

"I saw how those girls treated you," He growled. I peered over at him to see that his body was slightly shaking as his eyes started to darken. The thought of him caring for me crossed my mind, but I knew that couldn't be true. How was it possible for a monster to care for someone?

"They're just teenage girls, that's what they always do."

That clearly wasn't the right thing to say because Brute let out another growl that almost shook the walls around us. Fear crawled up my throat and I took a step away from him. While he had yet to physically hurt me, I didn't completely trust him. I had no clue what he was capable of and I could only hope that he wouldn't kill me.

"Ally?" Lucas's voice reached my ears. I glanced over my shoulder to see that Lucas was storming over to me, a scowl resting on his face. I turned back to Brute, but he was gone. Hopefully the ticked off Alpha was heading out of the territory and not towards a pack member to kill.