Step Ten

Step Ten

Every year around the same time the Alpha family hosts an annual ball. By host, we mean other wolves set it up and we have the ball at a local country club. We did pay for it, well the government technically would pay for it, but we did arrange it and make the big decisions about it. Other than the paying part, the rest fell onto my mother and I, mostly because my mom loved to arrange the ball. She'd always go all out for this one little thing. My dad had learned to only give us a week or two to plan it because if he gave us longer the ball itself would be insane. So because of that we only have a short amount of time to prepare, which drove my mother insane. Everyone knew not to mess with her during this time because she got agitated easily. Since I was her only daughter, I happened to be the one that was stuck with her while everyone ran the other way. It wasn't too bad since I got to spend time and bond with my mother. It had also been the time when other teenage werewolves decided to be nice to me for once. Apparently they were afraid I would "snitch" and they wouldn't be allowed to go to the ball. I never said anything, though, and avoided them like a plague during the big event.

"What type of flowers should we use this year? Tulips or roses? I think we should do tulips." My mom was currently rambling on about the decorations.

"We did tulips last year, let's do roses this year." I suggested. Tulips was her favorite flower so she probably wouldn't listen to me about it anyway.

"Maybe we'll do roses, but that's still up in the air for now. We should do a masquerade theme!" She cried out. I just let out a sigh as she kept thinking of things to do for the ball. Last year we did a winter theme so this year it would be acceptable to do a masquerade theme. Thinking about it, I decided it would be a good idea. With everyone wearing masks, including myself, no one would recognize me right away. I could finally have a night that I could have fun without worrying about other wolves ridiculing me.

"I like that idea."

"Oh honey, I knew you would." My mother actually slowed down for once today. She wrapped an arm around me and pulled me into her embrace. Even if I didn't tell her everything, she knew how much I struggled with being the runt of the family and pack. We both knew how much a masquerade ball would benefit me. Not only would it benefit me for the mask part, but it would help me take my mind off of Brute. I hadn't seen him since he rejected me a week ago and it was driving me insane. The ache in my chest was still there, but I was finally able to zone it out, for the most part. Was this how Lucas felt all the time? Was there always a constant ache in his heart or did it go away eventually? I didn't know if it was possible for me to live the rest of my life with this ache from rejection.

"Hey mom, hey Ally. Is something wrong?" Lucas walked into the room but came to a stop when he noticed mom's arm was wrapped around me and my eyes watering with unshed tears.

"Just getting the ball ready." My mom lied as she unwrapped her arm from my shoulders. I was happy she lied, I didn't want to worry my brother too much at the moment. He was already worried about me enough, along with the rogues still on the loose. The pain in my chest increased when I started thinking about Brute, causing me to flinch a little. My mom was oblivious to the small movement but I could tell Lucas noticed it right away.

"I heard Chloe talk about going dress shopping, so I was thinking about taking you two." Lucas told me. I turned to my mom to make sure she was okay with that and she motioned for me to go with my older brother. I nodded and I followed Lucas out of the living room and up the stairs to my bedroom. We found Chloe inside there laying on her mattress with her head stuck in a book, just like when I first met her.

"Hey guys." She looked up once she realized we walked into the room.

"Lucas is going to take us dress shopping." I told her, but I was cringing on the inside. I truthfully hated the mall and going shopping in general, there were too many people there, especially teenage wolves. They didn't say anything to me since my brother was usually with me but I always saw the disgusted looks they gave me.