Step Four

Step Four

The questions never stopped coming. I was the talk of the next few days throughout the whole pack. People I didn't know or who always hated me were coming up to me, speaking highly of me. I was being called brave and a hero, the girl who saved the pack and escaped the rogues. Insane stories were being made up, especially about how I escaped. The one I recently heard was that I ran away while they were dragging me to their territory, but I passed out from exhaustion in the back yard. I wish that was true. I wish I escaped the vicious rogues instead of being confronted by Brute. Any of those rumors sounded better than finding out a monster was your mate. Even the mean rumors that always seem to enter any situation seemed better. To some people I was known as a slut, the girl who got away by having sex with the rouges and liking it. These were all rumors, of course, and that's all they would ever know. They would never know what truly happened when I was kidnapped.

"Are you sure you should go to school?" Lucas asked. He had already kept me from going to school for the past few days, but I was unharmed. I had no injuries other than the emotional scarring that would probably never go away. Though as much as I wanted to, I couldn't dwell on the discovery of Brute. I needed to move forward with my life and forget about the Alpha rogue, no matter how hard it was. It would only lead me to depression if I continued to constantly think about him.

"You can't keep me locked in the house forever." I reminded him, stuffing books into my backpack. Truthfully, I would prefer not to go to school because teenagers are vicious. At least they'll forget about it eventually and move on to the next big thing. But for now, it was going to be total hell. Besides, this was definitely one of the biggest things that had happened in the history of the pack.

"We can homeschool you." Lucas suggested. My head snapped up at that and I stared into his worried eyes. Being homeschooled sounded really good, I would be away from all the rumors. I didn't have friends at school anyway so no one would miss me. Heck, it'd probably be best for everyone if I didn't go to public school.

"I want to do that." I whispered. He pulled me into a hug and I held onto him until the need to cry subsided. He was my rock; without him I wouldn't be able to function. He had literally gotten me through everything, especially when I was at my worse a year ago. He was always there no matter what, he even would come home with bloody fists sometimes from getting into fights over me. Some elders almost threatened his future Alpha position because of the fights. I was worth it to him, though; I was his little sister. I wish I wasn't because he needed to be Alpha. That position was way more important than I would ever be.

"I'll go tell the folks." He gave me a small smile and then walked out of my room. I put down my bag and walked to my balcony. Even in the morning light, the woods still lingered with a beautiful darkness. Below, students walked on the edge of the woods and towards school. Of course a few students, mostly couples, snuck off into the woods, but that happened most mornings. Most of the couples sneaking off were not mates, meaning they just wanted a hookup. Mates rarely snuck out like that to have sex since their parents allowed them to stay with each other at night. Even some of them were already living together at this age. It was normal for us compared to humans. Everything came at a young age, especially when it came to having a mate.

Jealousy coursed through my veins at the thought of happy mates. I would never have that, not with Brute as my mate. My family would kill him if we came to being a happy couple. My family would kill him right when the word mates came out of my mouth. That was why they would never find out. Even though he was a monster, I couldn't stand the thought of him dying. My parents might even shun me and kick me out for being mates with the Alpha of Rogues.