Chapter 16: What's In A Number?

"OK, Miss Sullivan, all done."

"Really? You're sure?"

"Yup. The new number should be activated by tomorrow. If you have any problems, just come back and let us know."

"OK."

"OK?"

"Thanks. Thanks a lot."

"No problem. Have a great day."

"Don't they charge you for that?" my father asks me. It's a few days later, after I've informed everyone I know of my new cell phone number.

"Not much."

"Even so, it was a waste of money."

"It was my allowance, so it shouldn't bother you, Dad."

"Your money comes from me, so it's my money."

I furrow my brows at him. That's so idiotic, like someone giving you a gift only to say it's not really yours.

"Why did you do it, anyway?"

"Uh … well, numerology."

"What?"

"I was reading this numerology thing on the Internet, and I got really into it. So I felt like, you know, going along with it for my cell number."

"Numerology?"

"Uh huh."

"That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard! Since when are you a feng shui freak?"

"Actually, it's not feng shui. Feng shui is more – "

"Oh, forget it. I'm not even going to bother trying to understand." He crosses the floor, disappearing into his bedroom and leaving me by myself. My peace doesn't last long, though. A minute later, the object of our previous conversation, my cell, starts ringing. It's Wes. What does he want? "Yeah?"

"Nor. You at home?"

"Yeah."

"Not going to sleep?"

"In a minute."

"OK."

"So what's up?"

"Not much. I'm driving right now, on my way home."

"Actually, I meant, why did you call me?"

"Oh," he goes. My question, I realize, came off a little surly, and I regret it a little. "Nothing. I was just wondering why you changed your number."

"No reason."

"No reason?"

"Yeah."

"Are you hiding something, Nor?"

"No."

"You are."

Damn you, Wes, you walking lie detector.

"Look, can I talk to you some other time? I need to go."

"Why?"

"Because you're going to go through a tunnel."

"No, I'm – "

Oops. Hung up.