Chapter 14

Lucille's POV

The cheering continued for the rest of the baseball game. Ethan continued to hit two more home runs making his team lead the game. I continued to watch him from the T.V screen outside the lounge room because I didn't want to risk puking again. Soon, the game was over because Ethan's team had won majority of the innings, therefore, it didn't need to continue any longer. I didn't feel as sick anymore after the last inning. Just as I was about to head back into the lounge, Mike and the magazine staff came outside. 

"Lucille, where'd you go? You missed most of the game!" Amelia, one of my co-workers asks. 

"Um, I didn't feel well so I stayed out here, but I watched it from the screen. Ethan's team won!" I say with a smile.

"Yes, they did! Ethan also invited us to meet the team," Mike interjects.

"Oh... I think I'm going to have to pass. I don't really feel good right now."

"Sickness comes all the time. This doesn't, c'mon! I'm sure he wants to see you the most," Mike urged, linking his arms with mine. He was my boss, but it felt weird that he was treating me like a friend. 

"Yes, I'm sure you'll feel better after seeing all those handsome players," Amelia says with sass. she links her arm with my other open arm. 

"I really don't feel good. I think I'll just take a taxi home," I try to tell them, but they just drag me along to the players' lounge. My legs willingly follow. More like I didn't have a choice with the two of them linked around my arms. 

"We came together so we have to leave together. This is also such a good opportunity to get an inside scoop on the major league life. This is your shot!" Mike turns to me and says with a smile. 

I make a worried smile, but go along with it.

We reach the players' lounge. It's a fancy lounge with leather seats around the room. There was even a bar at the back of the room with alcohol lined up in the back. I wasn't even 21 yet, but here I was in a bar with all my co-workers. There were other people in the players' lounge, I assumed, were all waiting for the players to come out too. They must be changing from their baseball uniforms into more comfortable clothes. There was mellow music playing in the background. 

"Want a drink?" Amelia asks. I wasn't 21 yet, so I should have taken this opportunity to be able to drink in a bar, but instead I shake my head.I didn't feel like drinking after throwing up half my stomach only a couple hours ago despite feeling better than before.

"Go ahead, I'm ok," I tell her. She nods and goes to the bar area. Mike, on the other hand, has gone off to socialize with other people. Probably colleagues from other magazine companies that I did not know about. I'm looking around at all the people when suddenly the uneasy feeling comes back. It gives me a slight headache. I take a step back to catch myself, but then a hand wraps around my waist, and stops me from falling down onto the couch.

"Hey, you okay?" the familiar voice asks. I tilt my head up and see the owner of that voice that seems to haunt me everywhere I go: Ethan. I'm flustered and step forward to break from his hold. 

"Of course. I'm more than okay," I reply, patting down my dress. 

He has a concerned look on his face. 

"You don't look okay," he says.

"Well, I am." My response came out more blunt and rude than I intended it too, but I didn't want him to think I needed his help. I look around to see where Amelia and Mike went, but I don't see them around. 

I spoke too soon about being okay because the next thing I know, the dizzy feeling comes back. It forces my body to collapse onto the leather sofa chair. I hold onto the side of my forehead. Ethan kneels down in front of me.