Chapter 6

Lucille's POV

"I'm okay..." I keep telling Axel as he kneels by my side. I'm sitting on the bench table. Axel looks distraught and doesn't leave my side. 

"I'm sorry. I should've went to look for you. I thought you were enjoying yourself with some of the other girls. I didn't know..."

"I'm really okay. It's not your fault, Ax," I smile assuringly. 

"I know, but..."

"No buts, I'm really okay." 

I grab his hand and squeeze it. 

"Lucille, you should go home. That's a sprained ankle and if we don't get it treated, the swell might worsen," Cecilia says after spraying some pain relief spray. 

"Yeah! I agree. I'll take you home," Axel complies quickly as he stands up.

"No, I don't want to take you away from the camp retreat," I say.

"I don't care about it, Lucille. You need to get treated. Everyone will understand."

"Ax..."

"I'll take her back," Ethan suddenly chimes in.

We all turn to his direction in surprise.

"These are you and Cecilia's friends. They probably planned a lot for you guys," Ethan continues. 

I just stare at Ethan. I'm speechless. The last thing I wanted to do is to end up alone with Ethan again. 

"No... it's fine. She's my girlfriend. I'll take care of her," Axel persists defensively. 

I didn't want to agree with Ethan, but he was right. I didn't want to ruin the fun for everyone else   especially Axel. It is my own fault that I acted stupidly by running away by myself into the forest even though it was dark. I didn't want Ethan to take me, but I really did need to fix my ankle. 

"I can just call an Uber or something," I suggest. 

"How are you going to do that? I doubt any Uber will come down here especially with such bad phone service here," Axel says. 

I sigh. This is more complicated than I thought. 

"He's right! Axel, just let Ethan drive her and make sure she's safe," Cecilia finally ends the conversation. 

Axel doesn't want to agree. He looks unwilling to let me go, but he sighs and agrees. 

"Fine. Please take care of her, Ethan. That'll be twice tonight," Ax says unhappily.  

Axel walks me over to Ethan's car and sets me down in the car seat. 

"If you won't let me take you back, I guess I have no choice but to ask Ethan. I'll be back in two days," he says closely to me. 

"I'll be fine. Thank you. Enjoy the rest of your time with your friends. You might not see them again." 

I kiss his cheek. He hugs me and kisses the top my head before closes the door. Ethan walks over to the driver's side and sits in. He starts the engine and starts to drive away. I wave to Axel and Cecilia as the car leaves. Their outline slowly gets smaller and smaller. I face forward and look at Ethan. He's focus on the dark road. I look away and stare out the window. 

It's silent in the car. 

"I'm sorry," Ethan breaks the ice when we're back in the city area again. 

I look at him for a split second, but don't say anything. I turn back away and lean my head against the window. 

"I shouldn't have shouted at you and made you run away and hurt yourself."