Chapter 10

I was able to use the nurses excuse only a couple of times. I wasn't stupid and knew that Jason would find out at some point that I was lying and skipping class. Those were two offenses that could really get me in hot water. So to keep the peace between the rebels and I and Jason and I, I would only skip one class a week, and it wouldn't be the same class every time, I had to keep suspicion down.

Kylie was always so scared that Brandon would find out, or that Jason and Brandon would talk and find the similarities in the girls school schedule. But Brandon had gotten a part time job at the grocery store. So he had more things to worry about then where his sister was during the day.
We found out very quickly that not only were the rebels bad in school, but they also went to parties that were for college kids, they carried around fake id's, but used them to buy alcohol and cigarettes.  Kylie and I were kicked out of the rebels when they discovered we wouldn't get fake id's. Well hello I didn't want to be arrested if caught and have a criminal record! Much less the whipping I would get from Jason. I shuddered thinking about it, as I climbed off my bike and propped it up against Kylie's house.
I knocked on the front door and Kylie opened it breathless, like she had been running a marathon. Her hair looked like a tornado and her eyes were wide like she was scared, she ran straight into me, almost knocking me down. I regained my balance as she grabbed my arm.

"RUN!" she yelled.

I didn't need anymore prompting as I heard Brandon running behind us, yelling for us to stop. We both ran out of her yard and down the street, we had a good head start, so Brandon wasn't able to catch up. I looked back and saw him stop in a yard trying to catch his breath. Kylie grabbed my arm again and we darted into the bushes beside a house.

"What in the hell? Why are we running?" I asked her looking at her, when I was able to catch my breath. I hadn't ran like that in a long time.

Kylie peered out of the bushes and started wringing her hands, " Oh I am in some deep trouble"

"What's new were always in trouble for something."

"Oh you have no idea, I cheated on my spelling and math test!"

I gasped looking at Kylie wide eyed. Kylie never failed anything she was a straight A student. There was no reason for her to cheat on anything.

When she saw that I was about ready to say something, she held up her hand to stop me.

"When we joined the rebels and were ditching school, well I missed some very important classes that could have helped me to understand the material that the tests covered, and well, I panicked and thought it wouldn't hurt to just peek at another students paper and I got caught. Brandon just had gotten out off the phone with the prinicipal and that was when I ran into you, trying to get away from him. Oh, Heather he is so angry."

I listened to the story that Kylie was telling me. I was shocked. But what should we do now? We couldn't stay hidden in a bush forever. 

"Well what do we do now? I mean come on, you've been in trouble before." 

Kylie looked at me in disbelief and threw her hands in the air in frustration.

"I can't go back there, Heather. I just can't!" She said panicking

"Well we can't just stay hidden in a bush either, and at some point I have to get home. Jason does still have a curfew for me."

"Since when do you care about a dumb curfew, Heather."

I felt offended by that, but she was correct. How many times had I broken the curfew before, numerous times, I shook my head. This time was completely different.

"I'm actually trying to stay out of trouble and do my chores so I can go see pitch perfect 3 at the dollar theatre."

Kylie snorted at me, then looked more serious when she saw I wasn't joking. 

"But if you go home, where will I go?  And you know that Brandon will call Jason and he will hound you to tell him where I am."

I really hated how Kylie was making sense, yes I could go home, and Kylie could go hide somewhere alone, which one I couldn't leave my best friend out in the night by herself, and two. Jason would be relentless on interrogating me, and most likely spank me so very hard to get the truth out of me. Nope I sure didn't like either scenario as it played in my head. 

"Oh, ok. I won't leave you." I said giving in.

Kylie squealed and threw her arms around me. 

"I knew you wouldn't leave me!" I hugged her back reluctanly knowing that what I was agreeing to was a bad idea.

"OK, Ok, now we have to figure out where we are going to go, since neither of us is going home."

We talked it over and the only person we knew that Brandon and Jason didn't know and would be willing to help us out, would be Pamela. Pamela was a girl at school who was envious of what Kylie and I shared as friends and she tried everything to get in our circle. We decided that if she would help Kylie and I out, then we would definintely put her in our circle.

We ducked back out of the bushes as soon as we saw the coast was clear. We walked the eleven blocks to Pamela's house. We had no idea what was going to happen, or if Pamela would be home, or if she was willing to take a risk at our expense.

Pamela opened the door and stood there looking at us with shock and curiosity.

"What are you two doing here?" She questioned.

Kylie stepped forward and quietly told her what was going on. I watched Pamela's face closely as Kylie relayed the story, first she was shocked, then confused, then when Kylie told her about the part of letting her in our circle, if she could hide us. She looked behind herself into the house, quietly closed the front door behind her. Motioned for us to follow her. We walked back towards the back yard, she opened a very heavy wooden door to the gate and we walked through. The back yard was gorgeous it was huge. The grass trimmed and rows and rows of rose bushes against the privacy fence, then in the middle of the yard was a huge tree, with a tree house. Pamela pointed to the tree.

"You can stay up there, no one can see anyone that high up, plus my parents bedroom window faces the other side of the house."

Kylie and I looked at each other, a tree house? Really. What other option did we have? It was starting to get dark and taking one glance at my watch it was turning seven o'clock.

We climbed the ladder into the tree house. It was a huge big square box, with a window in it, it even had a roof. Pamela climbed up behind us and took inventory of everything. 

"OK, so you will need blankets, pillows and food. I will be back."

I grabbed her arm lightly stopping, her.

"Please you can't tell anyone were here, no matter what happens."

She met me with a determined look in her eye.

"I won't." she said as she climbed back down off the ladder.

(Sorry it took so long for the update. But here it is. Also a little bit of a cliff hanger! What do you think will happen? Will Pamela tell on them?