Chapter 13

Nick's POV:

Everyone was just kind of sharing stories and what people were up to when Nate falls asleep on top of Miley, who sees it and goes, "Awww, someone needs naptime," and to me, "I'm taking him upstairs.  You entertain everyone and cook."

I nod and watch her walk upstairs, her never-ending long legs are showcased with a super short blush pink dress and white heels matched with a little bit of a sassy walk while she holds our three-year-old son.  I noticed how she went with very little makeup; she normally does very little or no makeup.  And she straightened her brown locks just for today.  And Nate is asleep against her shoulder, he's drooling against her like a dog.  Just a perfect picture - my wife, who's beautiful inside and out, being a good mother, with our kid, bringing him upstairs when he's tired.  I look back at the others, who are talking about different things.

Danielle asks me, "Nick, how's Brandi's wedding planning going?  Did Miley mention anything to you?"

"Um, yeah.  It's ok."  I kind of ended it there.  I didn't want to say anymore.  Miley can talk about it if she wants to.

"I keep wondering, who's going to be the father-in-law?"

I didn't answer, mostly because that's Miley's family business.

She came down in record time, just five minutes faster than last time she had to put Nate to bed.

"That's five minutes faster than the last time you put him to bed.  You managed to do that in just - " I checked my phone.  "Two minutes.  How do you do that?"

"Hmmm, well, for one, he was fussier last night.  He wouldn't go to bed.  Plus today, he was just really tired.  I settled him down.  He fell asleep right away."

I settled Nicky down on the floor, mostly because he was trying to crawl off my lap to play with his siblings, who are kind of dancing now to Kevin's guitar playing.  "Come here, you amazing mother and wife.  How is it you are great at so many things?  You don't think you're perfect, but in a way, you are."

She giggles and comes on my lap.  "I don't know.  I just do."

I wrapped my arms around her, and give her a brief kiss on the lips that lingers for a while.  And we rock back and forth, kind of like slow dancing, as Kevin plays some music on his guitar.

After some music playing, we had dinner, and then it was bedtime for our kids.  Miley and I round up our herd, bringing them upstairs.

Adam asked Miley as she's changing him into a white pajama set with trains all over them, "Mom, what does Pappy do for a living?"

Miley sighed.  Time for that discussion that kind of troubled her for a bit.  She bends down to Adam and puts her arms on his.  "Listen to me, Adam.  Do you know how Mommy and Daddy sing for a living?  How we perform at concerts and record music just for everyone to enjoy?  How we tell a story with our music and try to relate to everyone the best we can, even though our lives are vastly different than other people's?"

He nods.

"Well, that's what Pappy does too.  He sings.  Although not so much anymore."

"Why?"

"Because he's kind of broke his back during a performance.  He had to get a back surgery."

"What's a back surgery?"

"Um, nothing you should know of right now, baby boy.  Right now, you need to head to bed.  Now off."

Adam nods and heads to his bed.  "Mommy, is Pappy going to be ok?  You always sound concerned for him when you talk to Daddy about it."