02 - Bruised Egos

The River's Edge
02 - Bruised Egos

"I see my favourite couple hasn't changed over the summer,"

Coach Clayton wasn't the least approachable faculty member. At least to him anyway. That didn't make standing in front of his wooden office door all less daunting. Ryan runs his fingers through his brown hair as his eyes glance around at his surroundings. There was no one else in the hallway. Somehow that made things comforting for him. He brought his hand to the door gently rapping it with his knuckle.

Not having to wait long for an answer he heard Clayton call out from the confines of his office. Pushing the door open Ryan cautiously enters the room. Coach sat back in his chair leaning back as he turned to face him raising a brow confused why he wanted to see him. "Ryder? practice is after school," he reminded him. Ryan rock on his heels slightly as he avoids looking at his coach instead he chose to take in the environment.

Of course being the Coach of Riverdale high he had everything bulldog. Including blues and yellows covering the walls along with pictures. Each framed picture was of a team that he had coached winners or losers. "Ryder?" Clayton called out causing Ryan to promptly turn his head back to him "you wanted to speak to me," he recalled.

Not wanting to delay it any longer he takes a deep breath before explaining his presence "I wanted to talk to you about leaving the football team," he says closing his eyes not really wanting to look at Clayton.

"leaving the football team?" he replies raises both eyebrows in surprise at his statement.

"yes, sir," Ryan says clearing his throat and adjusting his posture so he could stand up straight.

With a creak of his seat, Clayton leans forward resting his elbows on his desk. The sudden movement causes Ryan to edge back a step unsure what he was going to say next. "can I ask why?" he simply asks.

Averting his gaze away from his teacher Ryan tries to not to give an in-depth reason. He had no need to know no one at school did though they will find out soon enough. "It's- it's just I have a lot on my plate and I know with a new spot opening up on varsity and you said last year..." he stumbled over his words.

"Ryan." Clayton sighs "It's fine I need players who are fully committed to it and the team. I won't be putting you on varsity but I expect you at practice," he allowed. Maybe he wasn't actually his first choice and this made things easier for him. Who knows.

Relieved but only a little he nods slightly gladly not shouldering any further responsibilities "I'll try..."

"Now, if that's all then I'll get back to much lunch break," Coach said relaxing back into his seat. Ryan hadn't even taken notice of the food that was sitting on his desk. With an awkward smile, he backs out of the office "enjoy your lunch," he muttered closing the door with a gentle hand.

The door acting as a shield blocking the coach from seeing him Ryan leant back against it. With the unpleasantries over. Bumping into both Dakota and Cheryl as well as talking to coach over he could finally try to enjoy his first day back. But without anyone he could trust how could he?

Honestly, it was a thought he put little well thought into. With Moose and Reggie being part of the football team he could spend time with them if Cheryl hadn't gotten to them first. If he wasn't hungry Ryan might have needed someone to pull him away from the door. Clearly, he wasn't fully sure if he wanted to meet his old friends again.

They might not even be his friends for much longer.

In Riverdale high, lunch wasn't hundreds of students crammed into some small mess hall. Instead most of the tables that people ate at where dotted outside. Each group huddled at different tables sharing stories of what happened during the first few hours of the day.