Chapter 3- A Crush

The doctor sighs, "I really suggest you go home, Cassandra. You have school tomorrow and it isn't comfortable sleeping in a hospital chair."

I quickly get out of the seat and stare at her, "I can't! Every time she goes through chemo, I stay by Callie's side!" I hear some shuffling behind me and I quickly glance behind me and see Zayn getting out of his chair. I look back at the doctor. "Cassandra, Callie is already asleep and should be til tomorrow morning."

I cock my head to the side and think about what she said. Is it really okay to break my ritual today? Would that be fair to Callie? But.....she did say she should be sleeping til tomorrow morning.

I huff, "Fine. But let me see her before I leave." The doctor nods and I look at Zayn who's leaning against the wall beside me. He smiles, chuckling to himself, "You don't need my permission, Cassie."

I nod and quickly turn around, stepping into her room. I quietly shut the door and smile, seeing Callie soundly sleeping, with a smile on her face. I tip-toe to the side of her bed feeling silly. I stand beside her head and reach out, tucking her hair behind her hair. I lean down and kiss her on her left temple, my lips lingering, l;ike I do every night before she went to bed.

"Love you Callie. Be strong. Don't let the bed bugs bite" I whisper against her forehead and walk out, closing the door softly behind me. Zayn smiles at me, "Everything okay?"

I shrug, "Not as okay as I'd like things to be." I look around and see the doctor has left. I walk down the hall with Zayn falling in step beside me. "You're complicated to figure out, you know?" Zayn said, glancing at me as we pushed the hospital doors open.

"Why are you trying to figure me out then?" I look up at the sky. Crap. It's still raining. The tree made sure my hearing aids didn't get wet, but now.....

If it wasn't pouring it's fine, but it was raining with all the thunder and lightning fiasco. I put both of my hands over my ears and run to the car, unlocking it and hopping in, not hearing Zayn's answer. I quickly turn on the heat and look up at Zayn when he slides in. He gives me a confused look.

"What?" I innocently smile. He furrows his eyebrows and then turns to look out the window. I look behind me and pull out of the parking lot.

"Where do you live?" I ask quietly, the silence nipping at me. He tells me how to get there like a personal GPS guide. I pull into his driveway a couple minutes later and look at him. He turns and looks at me.

"Thanks for taking me to the hospital."

I chuckle, "It's not like I had a choice anyway."

He smirks and waves, stepping out of the car. I quickly grab his wrist and pull him back into the car. I ignore the tingles running up my arm.

"Zayn. You have to  promise and make sure Liam doesn't tell this to anyone. Okay?" He looks at me strangely, "Yeah sure, why?"

I sigh, "I don't need something for more people to pick on me about."

He raises an eyebrow, "Why would they pick on you because of this?"

I shrug, "Ask them." He looks at me hesitantly and I pull away my hand from his wrist, blushing. He smiles, "You're cute when you blush." I freeze. That's the first time anyone has called me cute or anything remotely like it, other than my foster parents. He looks at me strangely, but shrugs it off.

"Is it okay if I can go to the hospital with you tomorrow?" He asks hesitantly. I turn my head to the side, "Uhh, y-yes." I stutter. This was weird to me. I've  never been in a situation like this. He smiles, "Thanks. See you tomorrow, yeah?"