Prologue

“What do you mean?”

“I mean,” Alpha John said to his son, “you can’t become alpha until you’ve found your mate.”

It was that sentence alone that brought Matthew's life down in shambles.  No one ever told him.  He never knew.  Now, here he was, one month before his twentieth birthday, the day he was supposed to become the leader of the pack, and he was just now learning about this?

He had been raised his whole life as a future alpha.  He didn’t know any different.

“I was twenty-five before I found your mother.  Five years I had to wait before I could become alpha.  You’ll survive,” John reassured his son.  But the words just scared him more.  He felt no comfort.

“Some people never find their mates.  Just look at Aunt May.  Besides, I don’t want a mate.”

His father sighed.  “Matthew, you may not realize the importance of a Luna now, but you will one day.”

“A Luna not only supports her mate, but is like a mother, sister, or daughter to the whole pack,” Luna Rosalind, his mother, who had been listening quietly put in.

The parents remained calm while their son seethed in anger.  “It’s my birthright.  You can’t do this to me!”

His mother sighed sadly.  “We aren’t doing anything.  It’s been this way for centuries.”

“Then how come no one ever told me?”

“We all expected you to have found her by now.”

“Well, I didn’t.  And now, I just got screwed over!”

Matt stood abruptly, knocking his chair over in the process, and stormed away.

They want a mate, I’ll find a mate, he thought as he started throwing things from across the room, with accuracy, into his suitcase.