Haunted- Chapter 5

Hey, if you are thinking "Wow, i've already read this" Thats because you have. I accidentally forgot to add the real chapter 3 so if you are really confused, go back to chapter 3 and read it/ Soooooooooooo, sorry. :)

..................................................................................................................................................

We sat, just outside the old warehouse. Joy had filled me in on the ghost we were after. His name was Rhett, and he had been hiding people in this old warehouse. In his life, he had gotten locked in a warehouse and no one came for him. So, he felt the need to keep other people there until their deaths, or until he killed them. I just hoped it was the former, and we weren’t too late.

                Joy put her index finger to her lips, signaling me to keep quiet. From the inside of her jacket, she managed to pull out something that looked a lot like a gun.

                “Wait for me to enter. When I do, I want you to run to the other side of the building. There will be a door locked from the outside. I want you to unlock it and help the people escape. If I’m not back in 10 minutes, leave without me,” She said with a look of pure determination. I turned to face her, but she was already gone. I could see her silhouette running towards the door. Letting out a sigh, I began to sneak to the back of the warehouse.

                Just as Joy had said, there was a door with a lock. When I was younger, I got locked out of my old house right after school. Megs and I had to wait for two hours for our parents to get home. After that, my father taught me to pick locks. This was easy.

                I think I broke my record, it only took 45 seconds. Sliding the door open, I was shocked to find eight people. Eight people starved and scared to death huddled in a corner. I could hear a voice that I didn’t recognize, and it wasn’t coming from the eight. It must have been Rhett.

                “You thought you could sneak in?” The voice asked. I sucked in a quick breath. How could he see me? I thought I had gotten in un-noticed. The next thing a heard filled me with more relief than I had ever felt in my life.

                “Oh, you caught me,” Joy said. I could hear the smirk in her voice. “Too bad you won’t be here much longer.”

                “How are you so sure?” I heard Rhett say. By now, I had managed to sneak to the small group of people. They looked at me with alarm, before I put my index finger to my lips.

                What I saw next broke my heart. Among the eight, there was a small girl, who could not be more than seven. Her eyes were red from crying, and I just wanted to scoop her up in my arms. But that would wait. I had to save these people.

                “Follow me. I can get you out,” I said in the loudest voice I could afford. Luckily, they trusted me, which amazed me more than anything. They got up and scurried with me to the back door. Joy did her job well. She kept his back to us and dodged anything he tried to kill her with. Unfortunately, Rhett had a thing for knives, as those were his projectiles. I took two seconds just to watch her in amazement as the people filed past me. Once they were all out I sent her a quick look.

                A small smile grazed her face. She aimed her gun thing-y, and shot the ghost in the leg.  Not expecting it, Rhett doubled over. Joy took that as her moment to take him down. She managed to hold down his arms with one hand, and point the gun at his head with the other. I closed the door just as I heard the loud bang of the gun.

                I shuddered. The little girl grabbed my hand. It was cold outside, and none of these people had on jackets. I shrugged off mine and gave it to a woman who looked sick. She gave me a small smile, which was thanks enough for me.

                Joy exited the building, hands stuffed in her pockets. My eyes asked what to do now. We had to take these people somewhere.

                “Let’s go,” She said walking off, “There is a city about five miles from here.”

                We watched as she pointed to an area, than began walking in the opposite direction. I stared dumbly at her.

                “Are you coming, Evelyn?” She asked, and I understood. We were going to leave these people here.

                “We’re just going to leave them?!?” I yelled, glaring at her in shock.

                “Yeah. I showed them where they need to go. It isn’t in the direction we are going so we split off.”

                “You’re kidding, right?” I asked, sarcastically. There is no way she would leave these people-including a child- out in the middle of nowhere. That was horrible, and most of these people didn’t have the proper clothes for the seemingly arctic tundra. I was about to just slap Joy across the face, when she pulled my arm and lead me a little farther away from the group. I was about to object when Joy spoke out in a stage whisper.

                “I just can’t have them knowing my occupation.”

                “So what? Just make up some story about how you were in the right place at the right time. No one will know,” I replied. I stared her down, urging her to defy me. I just couldn’t stand the fact that she would actually desert people out here.

                “That would be fine, except one fact: I can’t do this on every single case. It’s already conspicuous that a thirteen year old girl managed to save eight people from a serial killer, with only the help of her sixteen year old friend. It’s too dangerous, and I could get in serious trouble for this kind of publicity. Please, they will be fine,” She said, her eyes begging for me to understand.

                I just stared. Did that make sense? Yes. Was I happy about being wrong? Nope, not at all.

                “Fine,” I stated, crossing my arms. She did have a point, I guess.  I just hoped the people would be okay. Giving one last look to the eight, I asked them to forgive me with my eyes. The older lady, the one who I had shared my coat with, smiled. I let out a breath I didn’t know I had been holding.

                “Come on, Evelyn, we have to get back before your parents realize you’re gone,” Joy said.

                Oh, crap! My parents. It had to be past midnight. I sighed, racking my brain for excuses. I couldn’t exactly tell them I had been ghost hunting with our thirteen year old neighbor. Grrr, Joy better have a good excuse for both of us when we get back.

                “Trust me, I do,” Joy said. I gave her a confused look before I realized, I had just said that out loud. She laughed at my new expression, causing me to shove her playfully.

                “I am never doing that again,” I stated. It had been fun- though I won’t even admit that to Joy- but a little too extreme for my liking.

                “You don’t have too,” She giggled, “But you’re always welcome.”

......................................................................................

Follow me and become a penguin today! Join the waddle!