Epilogue

Epilogue

Twenty two years later

''What a wonderful day, isn't it?'' ''Yes, indeed. Birds are singing, the sun is shining, flowers are awaking...it's beautiful.'' I walked down the stone path in our garden. I was the soon going to be a Queen, following my mother. I always thought about it as an honor, not as a chore like many others. ''Where is Nicholas? I heard he has grown quite big.'' ''He's great, thank you. He eats a lot so yes, he is quite big. I can already see Dominic inside of him, they look alike.''

I answered with a short laugh, content my husband will have a great son. ''I can imagine, Dominic is quite handsome. I mean, for women, not for me.'' Laughing at Gabriel, I shook my head. ''I have to admit he is, but it doesn't matter. He's even more beautiful and attractive on the inside. I sometimes think he's too perfect for me, maybe I don't deserve him.'' Gabriel visibly frowned before I realized what I just said. It must have reminded him of Amelie. ''You deserve him, child, I'm sure. That's exactly what I thought about your mother. Don't do the same mistake, love him with all your heart and soul and think of nothing else.''

''I do love him and I'm sure my mother loved you as well. I don't remember her too clearly but one night, she told me a bedtime story I will never forget. It was about a knight in shining armor and a queen who was trapped in the world of evil. I was too young to realize it was your love story. She thought of you as a knight in shining armor who was ready to save her although she didn't want it.''

A tear escaped his eye and trickled down his wrinkled old face. His hair was a mess, just like he was inside. Sometimes I heard him crying and weeping the whole night, saying my mother's name over and over, again and again. 

''Oh Rose, you are so much like her. I can see her every time I look at you, hear her every time you speak. It's like I'm walking with her, not with her daughter.''

I sat on the bench, pulling him beside me. ''Shh...it's alright.'' He rested his head on my shoulder, seeking for comfort. ''You must move on Gabriel, you must.'' Gabriel remained silent, only a few whimpers escaped his dry throat. ''You're right Rose, I have to move on.'' I smiled at him, thankfully he finally understood it was for his own good. It would be painful just to watch him rotting inside, yearning for his lost love.

''Rose, get back here please! Nicholas is crying!'' I smiled at the thought of my husband taking care of our child. Gabriel nodded. ''Go, your child needs you.'' ''I will, just don't forget about this, alright? Move on, Amelie would want you to stop, wouldn't she?'' He nodded again, confirming my statement. I returned to our chamber, trying to seem indifferent to see Dominic's reaction. ''Please help me, he's crying without stopping!'' I rolled my eyes at him panicking and sat next to Nicholas, starting to sing.

I am here, do not cry. Sleep, you're safe in your dreams. Nothing will happen while I'm here with you, looking up to the sky, where one day we'll together fly.

Nicholas went silent as his eyes started to close. He looked so peaceful and calm. Dominic let out a breath he was holding and embraced me, slightly rocking me like a baby. I touched his face behind me, inhaling his musky scent. We have been together for more than fifteen years now, and yet we never argued, at least not for long. There was no time when we were unhappy together, it all seemed as in a fairytale.

Christian, my mother's brother was an old man now, at least too old to rule. I could see his sadness when he looked at me, saying I was reminding him of Amelie. The day I found out she died was the worst day of my life. Without Dominic, I would have gone insane, the mental break down was too painful. He was there for me, always sleeping next to me to keep me safe from nightmares, always knowing what's best for me.