Chapter 4 ~ Rejected

Chapter 4

     I stood frozen, not knowing how I should respond  to him. Pushing him, and ran to the door but before I could escape, a warm and hard body stood in my way, Gabriel. He wrapped his arms around me and pushed me to the wall, slightly looming over me. He was furious, shaking with anger.

     ''How can you dare to deny me! You're same like Christian, you deserve nothing more than to be a servant.'' He showed no emotions while saying it. Tears filled my eyes as I pushed him away and stormed out, running to the forest. I was too weak, causing me to fall on the ground sobbing. Cold night air wrapped itself around me tightly, causing me to shiver. Feeling light-headed and dizzy, all I could see was my drenched dress full of tears and ripped apart by thorns I was laying near. I wasn't caring about anything right now, all that mattered left me without looking back. Darkness swallowed me and I gave in, defeated.

Gabriel

     It was breaking me to see her leaving, but there was no choice, Christian gave me an ultimatum. He promised to find and return my sister back if I leave Amelie. I loved her so much but I also loved my little sister, she was the only one left from my family. However, it was hard to look in Amelie's eyes and tell her I hate her, it would be the worst lie I ever said. The only thing I could do is to offence her, make her hate me and leave. She did but I started wondering where did she go.

     ''Where is she?!''

     Christian yelled, his voice echoing through the hallway. I walked through the door and turned to him, slightly lowering my head to show him my respect. Honestly, there was no respect. I spoke clearly and softly, trying to calm him down. ''My King, she was hurt by my words and ran somewhere outdoors, I'm sure she will be back soon and do her tasks.''

     He arched his eyebrow, thinking about it. I thought he forgot about our deal but he surprised me by walking to me and whispering in my ear. ''Your job is done then, I bet she hates you.'' Giving me a cruel smile, he regained his formal posture again and spoke loud.

     ''It's getting colder, go in the forest and search for some wood that's good to light a fire. Don't be long out there, you'll freeze to death and then I won't have any use of you. Go now.''

     Christian turned and went to his chamber, possibly to take care of his King things. I went to the forest, realising how scary it was, wrapped in mist and darkness. I'm not afraid of dark but this was creepy, I had to admit. Rotten leaves and branches crunched beneath my feet but I heard other sound similar to raspy breathing. I closed my eyes and focused on the sound. It came from my left, not far away. Not thinking twice, I ran but when I looked who it was I froze, shocked.

     Amelie was on the ground, her dress partly ripped apart. She was pale as ghost. I touched her skin, noticing she was freezing. Quickly, I tore my leather shirt and wrapped it around her shoulders tightly. I gently picked her up and carried her to the castle, ignoring the wood I came for. All that mattered was her life now. Trying my best not to fall and drop her, I ran through the forest, the branches digging into my skin. When we finally came to the gate, I noticed Christian walking around. He heard my pacing and ran to me but froze when he noticed unconscious Amelie in my arms.

     ''What happened?!''

     His voice was full of worry along with his expression. He cared for Amelie? I mentally slapped myself and answered. ''We don't have any time to talk. She was on the ground in the forest, her clothes were wet and it was too cold...''

     He nodded, stopping me from talking further. He called some of his servants and they went to the forest to do what I haven't finished. I ran to the servant's room and Christian followed behind but stopped me halfway.

      ''No, it's too filthy and she could get even worse. We'll go to my bedroom.''

     I nodded and he opened the door, revealing a huge bed in the middle. I put Amelie down on it and brushed her sticky hair away from her face. Her colour started to come again but it was still deathly pale. ''Now please leave, I'll watch over her. You can go to your work, help other servants.'' It was an order and I hesitantly obeyed, knowing Christian won't harm Amelie. Obviously she somehow meant him much. I left, softly closing the door behind me and praying Amelie is going to be all right.

Amelie

     I wanted to open my eyes, see where I was but I felt too sleepy. The sensation was too strange, like I haven't died, otherwise I wouldn't feel so hot, it was cold in the forest. Squirming to find more comfortable position, I noticed something warm and solid snuggled closer to me, an arm wrapping around my waist. It felt so good, so warm. I rolled on my other side and slowly opened my eyes.

     Soft breathing caught my attention, making me turn to its source. A face was only an inch far from mine but I couldn't see who it was. Its body warmed me, its hand over my waist. I slowly closed and opened my eyes again until my vision was clear. Shocked to see who was beside me, I let out a scream.

     It was Christian!