Chapter 5 ~ Surprise

Chapter 5

Amelie

     I couldn't believe in what I saw. Christian stared at me awkwardly, like he was nervous. I slipped out the bed, pulling the covers up with me. While securing them tightly around my waist, I couldn't help but wonder was Christian the one who changed my clothes, seeing that my dress was thrown to the corner. Thinking in myself, I didn't notice he was waking.

     ''I..I didn't change you...a slave...a girl done it.''

     He finished too quickly, making me a bit suspicious. Somehow I ended up here in my chamber, which had a relaxing effect on me. Being here was something I've always wanted. Pushing my thoughts aside, I focused on Christian again, noticing his deep stare. That was the first time I saw him like this, gentle and...nice. Something about him made me forgot I hate him. I mentally slapped myself for even thinking that I'm falling for him.

     A sudden knock on the door startled us both.

     ''May I come in, my King?''

     A soft voice silently asked on the other side of the door. Christian was silent, unsure if he wanted somebody to see me in his bedroom in the morning. They would probably think we've done something. Still hesitant, Christian cleared his throat and answered. ''Yes, you may.'' The person opened the door slowly and peeked in, it was Kassie. Her eyes went wide, shocked when she saw me. Doing her best to ignore it, she walked in completely and carefully closed the door, aware she shouldn't make much noise.

     ''My King, I'm sorry to...interrupt you but I have something important to announce. Your Father, Edward the Knight came into a village not far away from here. He wants to warn you there will be a war, someone else wants this land and kingdom.'' I couldn't hear her clearly since she spoke very silently, almost in as a whisper. She bent her head, not wanting to look at Christian. ''But...''

     Kassie looked nervous, not comfortable enough to answer him.

     ''But...they think the Queen Amelie is still a Queen and they want her dead, especially because she is a woman. They don't believe a woman is capable to lead a Kingdom and also that she is vulnerable, she can easily get hurt. That's why they think it's very easy to win this Kingdom in a war for which no one will ever know.''

     I stopped to breathe and felt light-headed, sick. They thought a woman, me, isn't capable to be a Queen? Vulnerable? Why? Because they are men, persons who pretend they are stronger and smarter. Truth is that they would run if they saw a sword and weren't trained, only a few would use it properly against someone else or for protection. Kassie nodded to Christian in a sign of respect and left. I turned to the door but Christian stopped me by speaking.

     ''No, do not go anywhere. You'll probably pass out before you even walk out. Come on, return to the bed and sleep, you need it. If my presence is bothering you, I'll sleep on the floor.''

     He was right, I was shivering, but not from cold, maybe I had a fever. Not caring about anything else for now, I returned to the bed and pulled my legs closer to my chest, making the shivers slightly invisible. Few seconds after I was already half asleep and I felt something warm on my shoulders, possibly a blanket.

     ''I'm never going to let anyone hurt you, I promise.'' Christian whispered, his hot breath tickling my ear. He pulled me closer to him as I let sleep come again.