Chapter 12 - My 'Dear'

Chapter 12

Aderyn's POV (flashback)

You aren't human, you're Blackbird. That's one of the reasons why are you named Aderyn (bird) Tywyll (black). Your job is to capture evil humans in this world to create a safe place to live for our future generations. It will be hard, but you'll get used to it. I'm a Whitebird, my mission is to help you and see if your decision is right. For now, that's everything you need to know.''

Only thing that scared me is that I will be the one who will judge people to death. Suddenly, an idea came to my mind.

''Than I can help in wars, deciding who will win even before battle.''

''It isn't so simple. And, no, you can't. After all, you must decide right because if you don't they will kill you.''

I'll get used to killing people? Yeah, right. If don't die first. Gareth calmed down his horse and hopped on the ground. I done the same and took a look at our new castle, amazed.

''This is our new ''house''?''

''Yeah, don't you like it?''

''It's absolutely amazing. I'm only waiting for some ghost to appear.''

''Really? You won't have to wait long, then.''

I turned around and shrieked at the sight of old pale woman. Gareth chuckled, earning my elbow in his stomach. The old woman stared in me with her big gray eyes.

''Aderyn, this is our maid, Lana Dape. She offered help with finding our new castle when I met her.''

Was I supposed to extend my hand and say: ''Nice to meet you.'', while she was frightening me to death? No way, I will not get near her.

''Well, I have some work to do so we must go. Thank you Lana.''

The woman nodded, softening her frown and slowly walked away to the other entrance.

''Who is she?'' Gareth just frowned and went inside, taking care of our things.

I firmly slammed the door after myself, wanting to show Lana she isn't welcomed here. I didn't like her, not even a bit, it was something my gut told me.

''Could you explain it to me now, Gareth? Who is she?''

Gareth sat on the couch and patted the seat next to him. I sat there, waiting for his answer.

''She is a maid, I met her two years ago while I was buying a new horse. Lana was a warrior before, and she still is but because of her age, she is set for a gate guardian. Our lives could be on stake if she doesn't do her job properly. If a threat is near, she must tell the main guards. Her innocence helps the case, nobody would suspect an old woman.''

He was right, but I still wasn't all right with idea.

''I don't think it will be necessary but as you wish.''

I raised up from couch, yawning.

''Where is my chamber?''

Gareth led me trough two halls, explaining where is which chamber or hall. There was just one part, big enough for twelve royal people to live in. My chamber was on right, next to the bathroom. White details covered stone walls with a simple pattern. In the middle of room was a big and soft bed with a night table next to it. Opposite of bed was dresser with beautiful old mirror above.