Chapter 37 - Cassie

Cassie's senses acutely focused on two things - her grandmother moaning in horror, and the apparation that looked like her mother snarling at her.

Her mother - her real mother, was a strong woman. She had the balls to stand up to her family, move away and raise her baby on her own.

Cassie had her issues with her every now and then. She supposed every mother and daughter had their issues every now and then. But she loved her mother. She admired her mother. And her mother had taught her to fight back. Not give up.

"You can't touch me." She hissed at the  figure in front of her.

Gripping her grandmother's hand resolutely, she stepped forward. Right through the ghost of her mother standing in front of her.

She heard her grandmother muttering furiously beside her. And she realised she was praying.

Cassie walked ahead firmly, not looking back. She didn't believe in prayers. She believed in herself and that was enough.

She heard the creature that was her mother screeching behind her. Calling her a whore. Calling her a murderer.

She ignored what she knew were lies.

She didn't know if her grandmother believed what she heard. She was not going to explain herself to her. She could choose to trust Cassie or she could choose to trust the creature.

Cassie was done explaining herself.

She knew what she had to do next. Find Ryan.

She walked towards the closest house on the deserted street.

She tried to remember who lived there. Wasn't it the old kindly woman?

She lived alone as far as Cassie could remember.

The house was dark though. Surely there would have been a few lights on if Ryan was here.

She paused for a moment, listening. But there was just silence from the house.

The old woman must be sleeping. Or she must have gone to live with her son.

The next house was just a few minutes away.

Cassie knew Mr. Smith lived there with his family. Tall, strapping Mr. Smith. Sensible and capable. Exactly the kind of person she needed in this situation.

Ryan must surely be there.

So she walked past the dark, quiet house.

Leaving Ryan behind.

The apparition that looked like her mother saw this. And her lips twisted into an ugly grin.

Cassie walked on. Her grandmother had stopped muttering her prayers now and Cassie was thankful.

More than comfort, the prayers unnerved her on this dark, silent street.

The street lights were off. She was glad there was a full moon tonight.

She reached Mr. Smith's house and frowned.

This house was dark too. She couldn't hear a sound.

She wondered if the power cut affected all the houses.

Surely Ryan would be here. He wouldn't go too far to call for help. And the houses here were too far away from each other.

A nagging doubt crept into her mind.

Had Ryan really gone for help? Or did he just run off?

She shook her head.

No, Ryan would never do that. He came all the way here because she called him.

But was all this too much for him?

She tried to ignore the sense of disappointment seeping into her.

Now was not the time.

She had to keep her grandmother safe.

She would go ring that bell. Let her grandmother huddle there. Call the cops.

There were two dead people lying in her house. This was not the time to dilly dally.

She walked up the driveway to safety, trying to ignore the persistent voice in her head.

The voice that insisted Ryan hadn't abandoned her. But she had just abandoned him.