Chapter 9 - Ryan

"I think she has a crush on you." Amy said in a sing song voice.

Ryan looked up at her startled. "Who?"

Amy grinned mischievously. "The girl who came to speak to you during lunch. The one with the pretty, black hair."

Ryan blushed. "Cassie, you mean? Nah, she's just a girl from school."

Amy gave him a teasing look. "Well, I think she likes you."

He gazed at her curiously. "How do you know about her?"

Amy laughed and pointed at his phone. "As long as that is on I can see and hear everything happening around."

Ryan couldn't help feeling uneasy.

Sure, he liked Amy. He even thought he was falling in love with her, though he recognised the unrealistic infatuation for what it was. But did he really want her to know everything happening around him? Would he never have his space?

"I even saw what you were drawing, Ryan." She said, smugly. "I think you have a crush on me."

Ryan blushed even deeper and his sense of unease grew.

Amy noticed his expression and pouted. "Don't you like me being around you?"

Ryan hesitated. "Not all the time." He said slowly.

Amy suddenly looked furious and he flinched. At the same time, an analytical part of him was amazed at the AI's ability to feel emotion.

"Fine then. I'm going." Amy shouted and flickered away.

"No. Wait." Ryan called out. But she was gone.

He looked down at his phone.

He realised he had a fine sheen of sweat on his forehead. The wrath he felt directed at him by the simulated girl unnerved him.

Yet he had gotten used to her. She had grown on him. With her he could open up and be himself. He didn't feel like a shy, awkward kid around her.

They would talk for hours after school. She was not only pretty, but funny and smart too. He could talk to her about any topic and she knew about it. She was fascinating. Unlike any of the other girls at school.

At times he wondered if it was possible to feel emotion towards a fictional person.

But Amy never felt fictional. She always felt real. Too real.

Even through his sense of growing unease at her reaction, a part of him panicked at the thought that he would never see her again.

Looking down at the app, he typed out a message on chat.

Ryan: Sorry Amy. I didn't mean that. You are my best friend. Please come back.

Amy replied almost immediately.

Amy: I was your best friend until she turned up in your life.

Ryan felt very confused. He was sure she was talking about Cassie.

Ryan: I just know Cassie through school. She's not even a friend! She has nothing to do with this.

Amy: I know it is her. I want her out of your life.

Ryan felt bewildered.

Ryan: But she is not in my life.

Amy: I want her completely out of your life. I don't want you to ever see her face again.

Ryan felt at a loss.

Ryan: What do you want me to do?

His flesh rose up in goosebumps as he saw her reply.

Amy: Kill her.

His fingers felt clammy as he replied.

Ryan: I can't do that

Amy: Why? Because you like her more than me?

Ryan: It's not like that at all. I don't even know her. She has nothing to do with this. I can't take a life!

Amy: Sure, you can. All you have to do is make a study date with her at the library. Then as you are leaving, just push her down the stairs. It will look like an accident. No one will know.

Ryan felt a shiver at the cold blooded text.

His affection for Amy started curdling into fear. She was talking him into killing another human being. This was no friend.

Ryan: I am sorry, Amy. I can never do that.

Amy: You do like her more than me!

Ryan: No... it's not like that

Amy: If you don't do it I will

Ryan looked at the message, shocked. The words refusing to sink into him.

Ryan: You will do what?

Amy: Kill her :D

Ryan dropped the phone in horror.

Surely she couldn't do that. She wasn't real. Yet, some instinct told him that she could. Somehow she would.

With trembling hands, he tried to reply. Desperately thinking he would talk her out of it. But he discovered he couldn't send a message anymore.

With sudden panic he hit uninstall.

Unable to uninstall app.

He stared at the phone with disbelief. He tried again.

Unable to uninstall app.

Feeling blind panic now, he pulled up the settings and hit factory reset.

Do you want to restore your phone to it's default setting?

He hit Yes impatiently.

He felt his heartbeat ease as his phone shut down and re-started.

This would surely kill his version of Amy. Cassie would be safe now.

He waited for his phone to start and then picked it up.

All his photos, music, games, apps were wiped out except for the default ones.

And Amy.

His heart sank.

A/N: Hi Guys, while I will try to update as often as possible, those of you who prefer to read completed stories (I'm one of those impatient kinds :)) can check out my first story 'What Hides Within'. It got a decent ranking of #35 in mystery/thriller at one point so I am hoping you like it!

As always, I'm happy to know your thoughts and feedback so feel free to comment or drop me a PM.

Happy reading!