Chapter 19 - Ryan

The door swung open violently and Ryan jumped.

He was taken aback at the sight of Cassie's mother.

The woman who looked so warm and cheery the other day positively looked deranged now.

Her hair was pulled into a messy bun and didn't look like it was washed in days. Her eyes were puffy and red rimmed as if she had been crying. But there was a lack of focus in them that scared Ryan.

He looked at Ned uncertainly. Ned looked equally apalled at the sight of Cassie's mother but he composed himself and pasted on a smile.

"Hello, Mrs. Marsh. We were just wondering if Cassie is all right. She hasn't been in to school all week."

Mrs. Marsh gave them a wide smile that made her look quite insane. "You probably want to go up to her room I suppose. See if she is fine I suppose. Get into her bed and keep her warm I suppose. Huh... that's what you two want... huh..."

Ryan and Ned looked at each other uneasily.

"We just wanted to check on her." Ned persisted. "Her phone has been switched off."

Mrs. Marsh's inane grin got wider. "That's because her phone is with me."

"Is it Amy?" Ryan asked abruptly.

Ned shot him a warning glance. Ryan ignored him.

"Did Amy ask you to take her phone away? Did Amy ask you to keep her home? Was it Amy, Mrs. Marsh."

For a moment the madness in her eyes broke. She looked confused. She looked sad. She looked scared.

Then her phone beeped and as she looked down at it, Ryan knew for sure. It was Amy.

When she looked back up at the boys, her eyes were filled with anger.

"I will not let you demons corrupt my little girl." She hissed. "If I see you here again I will kill you both, do you understand?"

Ryan opened his mouth to argue but Ned took his arm firmly.

"Sure, Mrs. Marsh." He said calmly. "We are leaving now."

Ryan turned back furiously at the end of the driveway. "We can't leave her with that woman. Did you see her? Did you hear her? She sounded insane!"

Ned looked troubled. "I know Mrs. Marsh. She's not like this at all. You mean to say Amy drove her to this state? Why?"

"Because she intends to use her to kill Cassie." Ryan said desperately.

Ned rubbed his eyes wearily. "What could she have possibly said to drive a mother to lock away her own daughter?"

Ryan shook his head. "The question is what will she say to make a mother finally kill her own daughter."

A/N: Like what you are reading? Please click the little star to vote :)

You can also check out my first completed story 'What Hides Within' right here on Wattpad.