Chapter 15 - Shoving Off

To: Dana MacKenzie
From: Major EK Hoberman
MACO Liaison, Andoria
Date: July 30, 2379

Ms. MacKenzie –

The men are excited to be meeting you and your team! We're hoping for a good show. A lot of the spouses, girlfriends and boyfriends will be in the stands. We're hoping to make a festival of it.

Therefore, my proposal to you is as follows: regardless of the outcome of the game, we'd like to have a fair on the base, for our unit, the immediate families, your team, any guests they might want to bring, and our brass. Consider it a chance to mingle with the kinds of people who could pretty easily become your fan base.

Of course, all bets are off in the event of the unit being called to duty. Please consider this a personal invitation.

Looking forward to it, Hobie

"Hobie?" Mack was sitting in her bunk, dawdling before getting up for the day. She chuckled a little. "Nobody's got a real name anymore. Huh." She tapped out a response.

Sounds good to me. My people will be up for it. – Mack

The PADD dinged – another message.

Mystic,

It's confirmed; I can't get away to see the game in person. I'm sorry. We're studying a phenomenon – I can't tell you anything beyond that – and it is interesting. But I would rather be catching up in person. Send me a tape if you can get one shot, okay?

Go Easy, Straight Arrow

She responded.

Baa. Good idea on the tape. We're shoving off today. – Mack

=/\=

Wesley Crusher had learned everything he could about the Cookie, but it still didn't feel like enough. He found Crita on the middle level, at the perimeter. She was sketching on the wall.

"What's that gonna be?" he asked.

Her furry hand slipped a little. "Oh! You startled me!" She erased a bit of it.

"Is it a big mistake? I didn't mean it. I could come back later."

"No, no, it is not much. It is all right. And, it is going to be, it will be a place on your planet called the Big Canyon."

He thought for a second. "You might be thinking about the Grand Canyon."

"Oh, yes, of course! No wonder it has been so difficult for me to find good images of it." She looked at him. "Are you troubled?"

"Nervous. Excited. Wondering when Mack will figure out that I don't really know what I'm doing."

She giggled a little nervously. "I feel the same way. It is a bit daunting."

"I want to assure you, Crita," he told her, "it's not that I'm incompetent. At least, I don't think that's the case. It's more that there's a lot to learn and most of it is wholly unfamiliar."

"I understand. We all want this to go well. Do you think any of the gaps in your knowledge would endanger us at all?"

Wes thought for a moment. "I don't think so. I want to know everything on here. It's so interesting! Then I remember, I'm it for engineering around here. I can't be just studying this and that when I'm supposed to be monitoring the warp containment field."

"This mural," she gestured, "I doubt that it will be completed any time soon. I will need to run Communications as a priority. I cannot be hiding back here and drawing and painting all the time. Hmm," she chewed on the end of her stylus for a moment, lost in thought, "maybe some of the athletes could help. Even for a little bit. Someone will need to take the nights, yes?"