Chapter 3 - Communications

The Kreetassan was in Sick Bay as promised, looking at the equipment, and trying to keep from being too bored. The doors swished open. He tuned at the sound. "Well?"

"I don't like being fired upon," Mack began, "And I bet Skoloth's not alone. There's gotta be a lot more people gunning for this ship."

"Perhaps."

"You don't have any other buyers," she opined. "Am I right?" Crita and Daniya stood behind her.

"I have plenty of prospects," he replied.

Daniya furrowed her brow a little, and came closer as the other two held their heads. "You were saying?" she purred seductively, taking the Kreetassan's arm.

"I, I, well, that is to say," the Kreetassan stammered, "I, I ...."

"Tell me the truth now, darling," the green-skinned woman coaxed.

"I, you are correct. You are my sole serious buyers."

Daniya furrowed her brow again, and the air was cleared. She moved back to stand behind Mack as the Kreetassan shook his head and was no longer under her spell.

"I want modifications," Mack told him, "and I want them done in the next month. I've got to get started."

"The timetable depends upon which modifications you desire," replied the Kreetassan.

Mack clicked her PADD next to his in order to transfer the data. "I also want the complete schematics for this boat. No holding back – I wanna know everything Szish made or even started to make. I also want complete maintenance records, logs and anything else you've got – not just on the ship but whatever you've got on Szish, Skoloth and anybody else who's, er, expressed an interest in the boat or the ionization diffuser."

"Some may be difficult to obtain."

"Do your best."

"And in return?" he asked.

"I'll meet your price," Mack stated.

"You drive a hard bargain," he sighed, but he conceded.

The three of them returned to the tavern, and Crita's easels were returned to her. She thanked She Who Listens Well and went to a table where the other two were already seated. "I should contact my parents," she mused, "or else they will worry. Eh, they worry either way."

"I suppose I'll spend the month studying those schematics," Daniya announced.

"I'll have to put together the team," Mack mused. "I could use help in that area."

"I know nothing of sport," Daniya conceded.

"You can measure stuff, though, right? Plus I figure it's not just athletic abilities. I'll need people who can work together as a team." Mack sighed. "What I really want is for us to not be hit the next time we leave that launch bay. There's gotta be a way to lower those odds."

"The ship isn't Starfleet," Crita pointed out. "I suspect there are many who feel they can just take potshots without suffering significant consequences. It would help, I imagine; if it were associated with Starfleet in some manner." She checked her PADD. "It seems my parents have contacted me. There is a dormitory for Daranaean working females. I have been staying there. I should go there and call my parents back." She got up. "I will return, say, after supper?"

"Sure," Mack allowed, "take your time."

The Daranaean left with her easels. Daniya stated, "She's right, you know. It would be best if you – or at least the Cookie – had some sort of a connection to Starfleet, no matter how tenuous. Do you know anyone?"