Chapter 9

It's 6:30 when I wake up to the sound of footsteps in the hall. I get dressed and head out into the bunker's winding halls. Passing a door that I always remember being locked, I notice the heavy bars obstructing the doorway have been removed. A loud bang sounds from inside. Gunshots. I rush inside to see rows of thick plastic manikins and Dean, holding a shiny gun towards one, a steaming hole in its chest. He immediately points the gun at me and I raise an eyebrow.
"good morning to you too."
I roll my eyes and head over to him.
"hey."
He grunts. Turning towards a rack of firearms on the wall. I scan the rows of guns, big and small. He pulls a little matte black gun off the top shelf and returns it to me.
"Smith and Wesson,  model governor, 9mm. Nice gun."
I thank him and relax, taking comfort in the weight of my weapon returned to me at last.
"okay. I have to teach you to shoot."
He goes through safety procedures, re-loading procedures, shot and stance. Eventually we get to the point.
"so aim for the chest. It's okay if you don't hit it-"
I interrupt him by pulling the trigger, sending a bullet flying into the left side of the manikins chest. Ecstatic, I turn to him with a huge grin but he looks away muttering.
"beginners luck."
I turn to him, annoyed and send another shot ringing as it flies into the right portion of the manikins neck.
"slightly off-center. "
Dean complains and I take stance.
"jeez, you sure know how to make a girl feel confident." I remark as I shoot again.
Straight into the manikins forehead. Smack-dab in the center. Dean's jaw drops as I tuck the handgun into my pocket.
"see you later, partner." I leave an echo of my heels clicking through the range as I head to the study.