01 - INTERLUDE

INTERLUDE

While approaching the locker area, a place connecting to the main building entrance, the first thing I saw was a solid dark brown leather bag. It flew right into my face.

“Ouch!”

Pains bloomed as I lost balance by receiving a direct hit. Knocked back by the impact, my sorry butt kissed the hard floor. Some books and sheets buzzed out from the bag that bounced away. My bum hurt, my nose hurt, also my mouth and teeth. I never knew this school loved sending their student off in such a harsh way. Sitting right where I fell, burying my face in my two palms, waiting for the pains to mend away.

A short moment had passed. I expected something like, ‘Did that hit you? I’m so sorry!’, yet nothing happened. No one came for an apology which I found it weird. Someone had thrown that thing, I was so sure, since bags were unable to fly on their own. No gain from doing nothing so I gingerly stood. After regaining myself, I noticed a group of men not so far away, about four of them, ganging up around one little man. I judged instantly that these punks were responsible for the leather bag. As I advanced closer to them, I recognized the one they’re annoying. He was my classmate, I remember his light brown hair. His back leaned on the steel locker, surrounding with bad guys, he had no where to run. All the more reason I must have a word with those bullies.

The ugliest man tugged my friend’s collar, causing him to jerk forward. I rushed into the circle. Grabbing on the ugly’s sleeve then push him back with half of my strength which was enough for him to take a step back. I moved myself in the middle, my friend was behind me, and bravely confronted the four.

“That’s enough. Could you do me a favor and just go? To hell, perhaps?” My tone was a polite and calm one, although my words suggested otherwise.

“Bitch. Seems you want some, huh?” The one I push spoke rudely as he came closer. If he expected me to scare, he’s wrong. His breath smelt like wet trash and this would be the only reason for me to step aside because I might faint smelling that, but that’s not my plan.

“I never want something, especially from you, though I did receive something. And it hurt as hell.” Standing my ground, keeping my voice as cool as possible, I pointed at the trouble maker bag resting on the floor. Every eye gazed along the path my finger directed them to. They didn’t seem to back away anytime soon. To protect myself, I rolled up my sleeves in case I had to throw a fist or two. Ignoring the feel of a cold drip slowly dropping out from my nose, I was ready to send them fly. When the gang faced me again, surprisingly, they chose to back off. Their demeanor as they went wasn’t a pleased one. The way they looked at me and my friend over their shoulder was a foot-inviting gesture to be honest.

Finally, it was a time to see if Park Jimin, my friend, was doing okay or not. His eyes went wide for some reason when he saw me. He opened his mouth to say something, but I dashed away towards the leather bag and quickly jogged back to him with some papers in hand.

“Is this -”

“You’re bleeding!”

I wasn’t able to finish my word since Jimin cut it half way out with such an alert sound. He took his bag back, also his papers, putting everything back inside in a hurry, not taking his eyes of my face for a second. At the same time, I automatically wiped out my nose where I suddenly felt like some sort of water dripping out from it, and yes, it was blood. I hadn’t had a nosebleed for as long as I remembered or maybe I never once had it. I startled, not knowing what to do. I was fine before, if this was the effect from getting hit, it’s quite too delay. The blood kept coming out like an opened faucet right now. I couldn’t do anything except from covering my nose letting my hand soaked with blood.