Chapter II: New Body, Some Body

M  I  K  A    J  A  C  K  S  O  N

No matter how much weight I lost during my hospitalized days, I can never stop feeling hungry. However, Mom could never afford more than a meal a day. Sometimes, I would have to go hungry for two days. All this happens because Mom refuses to leave this villa because it held memories of Dad. I don't want to do anything with our memories together. 

"Why don't you just go and work? Stop showing off those fake Ph.D.'s!" Mom throws the vase. It shattered the second it hit the floor. Dad removes his glasses, looking at Mom in shock. "You illiterate whore! Those aren't fake Ph.D.'s, if only I had married an educated woman,". Mom falls to the floor, tearing up and screaming, "Leave my house immediately and never come back!" 

Mom said that before he fought in the Land-Sea war. Whenever she mentioned his name, she would smile rather than cry. She was proud that her abusive died, atleast that's what she said.

I look around me; like always, I don't have someone to sit with. And I thought this year would be any different. I walk out of the school cafeteria, remembering the pain of being seated in isolation, without anybody to be around you or comfort you.

I recall Ms. Marie asking me to come to her office, this is the perfect time to use that invitation.

I head towards the french department, passing by the bleachers. Fidgeting with the holes in my jacket, I vividly remember different memories of me sitting there, completing other students homework and getting paid for it. It was good money. It was money to keep myself fed and my mom alright. It was money to take myself on a trip whenever my mom's boyfriend was home. It was money I would spend on my school textbooks.

 I shrug myself, maybe I should start making that money again. People say money isn't everything. If that's so, then what is everything? Is everything having the people you love around you, no matter the situation? No. I can't continue seeing my mom suffer from the bills of her house, refusing to change our villa because it has old memories of my father. 

Money, to me, is the only way I can end my moms suffering. I can't bear to watch her trying to sneak into our backyard and snuff tears off her face. My mom is my everything, and if I see my everything collapse, then I am ultimately nothing.