Chapter 23

"I was pressed down like coal.

I suffered.

That's what an angel is.

Dust pressed into a diamond by the weight of the world."

The OA - Season 2, Episode 8

"There's nothing wrong with you deep inside.

You're crying, Andy.

Men without souls do not cry"

Terry Bellefleur - True Blood

_________________

DIESEL

The sounds of fighting have ceased.

My ragged breaths and the shattering of my heart fill the silence in its wake.

The blood of my brethren mingling with that of the enemy they have slain is slick on the floor beneath my boots.

The weight of the sword I grip grows heavier as my own blood seeps from the wound at my throat.

Guided by the Soul that fills the vessel chafing the skin over my heart, I feel in my sword the pulse of Eyr'dre's power. As my own ebbs, hers is eager for the taste of the Beast's blood.

But I cannot...I will NOT strike until the Beast releases his hold on the woman who gave me my true name.

"Ro'monthu Ra," the Beast tasting the ancient title on the tongue tinged with my mother's blood is slow and languid.

The blood of the unconscious woman he cradles lovingly in his arms.

"'Son of the Dark One'." Contempt fills the words he spits in my direction past sharp teeth and lips stained red.

"Through you I have once again proven to my father that I am greater than the children he foolishly favoured."

His attempts to bait me into lashing out in anger will not work.

"Your kind have pitifully fallen despite the warnings in your teachings about me," he scorns.

Triumphantly, he sweeps a black scaled arm in a wide arc indicating the massive carnage surrounding us.

He points a long sharp talon, dripping with the blood of my people, at their lifeless bodies.

"This is the reward of your beloved Abys' teachings; my father's greatest lie."

He mocks me with the false pity in his gaze as he surveys the ground strewn with my dead comrades.

The Heraldic, Abys' eternal covenant to his people, lay in torn remnants at my feet.

Then his black eyes find mine, condemning me with his accusatory glare.

"It was never the stronghold of their fortresses or the numbers of their fiercest warriors that protected them.

You failed them. The loss of their faith in you weakened their defenses against me. They let me in, Titan. And now I will build new Realms on the pyres of their soulless carcasses."