Chapter 5

"Two possibilities exist.

Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not.

Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke

__________________________________________________

A/N: For readers who like a little advanced notice. Since Cali is now about to step fully inside the building, this chapter has a bit of a darker tone... some stronger language. And LOTS of thrills. I promise. ;-)

______________________________________________

"It's ok, Cali. Take your time," Lorne reassures me as if he can sense the unease that I can't vocalize.

"You don't have to give descriptions of everything you see. There is a camera in your visor that activated the moment you switched on the goggles. We can analyze all of the data later."

There is a cough in the background behind Lorne just before he says, "Harvey wants you to know that is what he was referring to when he said you should have a camera. All night vision goggles are equipped with them."

I nod to acknowledge. Lorne isn't looking for a verbal response.

Sometimes the absence of one is louder than spoken words.

"For now, just concentrate on what we need to know to help you find Eric. That's all that matters."

"Thank you." I whisper.

I have to drop my cloak and leave it behind in order to move forward. I can't hold it and the KOG while wrestling with the neck of my shirt to keep it up over my nose as I open that door.

And I need easy access to my locator and transfer unit.

My LTU looks like an expensive watch. A wide leather band on my wrist with a square face and a smooth onyx black cover that flips up to reveal a keypad of numbers and symbols.

I've had it set to 'ready' from the moment I arrived in this Reality. Which means I've already entered the codes to transport.

All I need to do is hold my finger on the keypad for a total of five seconds. That allows for plenty of time to sync up with the link to the correct Reality Stream that will carry me home.

The five second delay is meant to avoid accidentally setting off transport by touch.

With some effort I snap the cover off, so that I have easy and quick access.

The Project can bill me, because I'm getting the fuck out of this hell hole the instant I find Eric.

With the KOG in my right hand I bravely reach forward to grasp the lower jaw of the beast. Its eye teeth are engraved in such a way that they make a perfect handle.

But it also means I'm putting my fingers in its jaws.

My hand pauses briefly in mid-air. I glance up at the woman floating above the beast.

There is a vulnerability about her as her wings fall into the beast's mouth. She is helpless against his power.

But I'm not.

My fingers take firm hold of the great half-man half-wolf's protruding jaw and I shoot him a withering glance before straightening my back and making sure I have a good grip on the KOG.

I don't know what waits beyond that door and I'm determined not to be knocked on my ass again.

"I'm going in," I say to Lorne.