Chapter 14

"You are a terribly real thing,

in a terribly false world.

And that, I believe, is why you are in so much pain."

Emilie Autumn

-----------------------------------

The river water reaches just above Diesel's knees.

His armor and other pieces of clothing are on the ground nearby, lying in a tidy pile. On their own, without the wearer, they look like shiny scraps of useless metal.

Eyeing them I can't imagine any of those finally crafted pieces fitting together to protect the bathing warrior.

All of that is just decoration for the man underneath; a ruse that tricks the enemy into getting close enough to try to find a weakness in his armor.

Diesel's toned body combined with the breadth of his powerful wings, exudes raw energy. He's a weapon created by nature against her most formidable foes.

Looking at the muscular back of Diesel's massive frame is making me feel a healthy dose of fear.

Among other things.

A singular image from the carving on that door in the building where he and I met comes to mind.

The memory of the winged warrior viciously savoring the moment of ending his opponent's life by severing his head is chilling.

Diesel's body is covered with scars; a chronicle of the battles he has fought.

Or maybe it's a map of the dangerous topography of this world.

I consider the thick scar that I saw earlier, running the length of his throat to under his armor.

If I'm looking at one of nature's best predators, I don't want to know what monsters are out there that got past his defenses and broke through to get at the warrior beneath.

How dangerous is this Reality?

I'm feeling my cheeks warm the longer I look at Diesel.

At the only naked man I've been this close to since I signed the confidentiality agreement with the Dual Reality Project five years ago.

Pathetic.

I don't need the compulsion in Diesel's eyes to feel the kind of heat that I felt when he had me caught in his gaze back at Central.

Something primal is undeniably stirred by the sight of him like this.

I'm amazed at the way his sculpted back muscles are tightened, and carry the weight and expanse of those wings.