Chapter 21

"Administrative assistant duties will vary according to the environment in which the position is based.

The job specification for an admin assistant is frequently open to interpretation."

Best-Job-Interview.com

___________________________

CALI

"Cali, Gaven has repaired the Jump Chamber!"

Lorne's words startle me, abruptly cutting off my conversation with the general. He speaks rapidly and out of breath.

"Gaven...he's...he came through for us. He's been obsessed with fixing the Chamber."

He pauses, and I hear General Randolph demand that Lorne stop talking and step away from the microphone.

"Cali," the general is back, and he is all business. "Our objective has changed. It's imperative that we find a way to get the LTU's back from those men. We can't pinpoint your locator signal without them."

I try to latch onto the significance of what both men in my Reality have just revealed, but the gentle tenor that whispers in my left ear distracts and frightens me.

"Do not fear me. I am Ro'monthu Ra's ally." The words are accompanied by the unnerving touch of a hand coming to rest gently on my shoulder.

"You must buy time for us. Keep Segomo Reese talking."

"Cali?" Lorne's voice is laced with concern. "Did you hear me? This means we can bring you home!"

My answer is an affirmative cough.

Segomo Reese raises an eyebrow in question.

I'm taking too long to answer him.

He raises the arm holding Diesel's sword so that the tip of the blade comes to rest against the wound on my jaw.

I hiss at the stinging pain.

"I asked you," he says with displeasure, "where are you from?"

Renewed fear surges and courses through me. It's a heady rush that fills me with panic and accelerates my heart rate.

The pressure of the unseen hand becomes a grip on my shoulder.

And then my body tingles, every nerve tapping into something electric in the air.

I exhale and feel my fear ebb.

An aura of light briefly fills my vision, and I feel as if I've stepped into a vacuum. There is no sound outside of my own heartbeat.

It thrums in my ears and is joined by...another.

It's Diesel's heart. I'm certain of it.

And then I become aware of two more heartbeats. They're fainter, and I know it's the boy and the owner of the enigmatic voice whispering to me.

With the rhythms of each heartbeat come sensations and a blend of emotions.

Involuntarily, I take a deep breath and with it comes the memory of Diesel speaking three words:

On my honour.

Then the light retracts, my vision clears, and the heartbeats are replaced once again by the sounds around me.

But the emotions that filled me coalesce and become my own.