Chapter 20

"Every day of your lives, be ready to hear what whispers in your ear

"Every day of your lives, be ready to hear what whispers in your ear."

Steven Spielberg

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

Napolean Bonaparte

--------------------------------------------------------

DIESEL

"I ask for your trust, Ro'monthu Ra. Soon, this human pack will feel the bite of your blade and my teeth at their throats for what they've done," the black wolf promises.

Hearing him say that name shocks me.

It is a wisp of a memory.

Barely a whisper undetected by human ears. But it stirs the ashes of a fire I fight to keep burning with every failed step I take in this Realm.

The men surrounding us can't see the wolf like I can.

If they feel his presence, their wits are too dull to register the threat.

How can a creature of this Realm know the name on the crest my brethren and I bore on our breastplates before the Beast used the talons of Draygons to erase them in our battle with the Fallen?

Once, it was a promise to our enemies of a swift death at the end of our swords.

The blades guided by the Souls of our ancestors.

Despite the black wolf's misguided belief that I am an infallible myth come to life, he wisely knows I am the Alpha here.

I know what he wants me to do. He's asking for permission to implement his plan of attack.

I lift my face to look at the child of the Gwynn.

He is a wolf pup. And despite the elation on his face, he can't hide from me the agony of the iron searing the skin at his throat.

He stands brave against the merciless intent of the men that ensnared him.

I could smell dishonor and their desire to kill an Innocent before the pup even appeared.

I saw the mark of their hands on his broken soul when they dragged him before us.

I was filled with despair at seeing him unable to fully shift because of the iron, and with my inability to ease his pain.

Until he saw Cali.

When his eyes locked onto hers, I felt the spark of hope that ignited within him.

I know she also sensed something in that moment.

She turns to look at me, and my eyes meet hers. In them I see a question about what it is that she is sensing.