Chapter 26

“What are you doing here?” I snapped, staring at Nemesis. She turned toward me, her face morphing into dozens of my enemies all at once. I focused on Lucy again.

    “I should be the one asking you that,” she sneered, placing her hands on her hips.

    “I’m visiting my dad, obviously,” I said, placing my hands on my hips. “What? You thought I would be satisfied with just knowing his name?”

    “You obviously didn’t like him much,” she said, coldly. “You surprise me, Cecilia. I didn’t think you were as stupid and heartless as this.”

    “What is that supposed to mean?” I retorted. “I liked him a lot! And as for stupid, I’m the smartest demigod to ever walk the earth, you said something along those lines yourself! I know what I’m doing. And…” I hesitated. “And I’m not as heartless as everyone thinks.”

    “If you’re not stupid, explain to me why you would dare cross a goddess?” she screamed. She began to grow until she towered over me and almost hit the roof of the TARDIS. I stood my ground, trying to contain my rising fear. “And explain to me,” Nemesis continued in a raging voice, “If you aren’t heartless, why you would you dare cross me at the price of your new family?”

    I blinked twice.

    “What in all the universe do you mean?” I yelled up to her.

    “Idiot mortal!” she yelled. “You left the Romans to go who knows where and— surprise surprise!— the Greeks won! And guess who got the glory, huh? Just guess! It was ARES! Freakin’ Mars got the glory for the game!” she exclaimed, swinging her fists around in anger, which would’ve looked silly if she was her normal size, but was terrifying now. I jumped away from her as a fist flew near my head.

    “What?!” I cried, my heart pounding. “But… but today’s Friday! The game is tonight!”

    “Fool of a demigod!” she shouted. “The game was last Friday!”

    I stared.

    “Last Friday?” I repeated after a minute of terrifying silence.

   “Last. Friday,” she snarled, her face flushed with anger. “And ooooh Cecilia am I going to enjoy getting my revenge…”

    She flexed her hands and doors all around the TARDIS opened. Echoing moans and screams reached my ears and shivers flowed up my spine.

    “What have you done?” I whispered, my eyes growing wide.

    “I told you I would make whatever family you found pay,” she hissed. “And I, unlike some people, keep my promises.”

    “But… but who are they?” I said, beginning to tremble. “I only… I just… But… Sherlock?!”

    “Oh, I have him,” she said, and then suddenly there was a loud holler, and I recognized the voice as my dad’s. My heart pounded and I closed my eyes, trying to keep myself together.

    “Who are the others?” I growled through clenched teeth, opening my eyes and glaring up at Nemesis.    “Family is more than just flesh and blood, Cecilia,” she said, beginning to shrink back down to a normal size. “You’ve also made some friends for once, haven’t you?”

    It felt as if the blood in my veins had turned to ice.

    “The Doctor?” I whispered. Nemesis nodded, a grin slowly appearing on her face.