Chapter 23

The silence was awful.

    I tried to detach myself. I tried to tell myself that I didn’t care what happened. We had solved the mystery, and that’s all that mattered.

    But my stupid heart wouldn’t listen.

    Arthur was the first to break the silence.

    “Father,” he said, straightening his shoulders. “You wronged James.”

    Doctor Saltire’s stern face contorted into a look of surprise.

    “You were wrong to leave him out of the inheritance,” Arthur said, his voice quivering. “You were wrong not to accept him as your son. So… so don’t just blame James for all that’s happened. You’re partly to blame, too.”

    I must say I was shocked at the nerve this cute, little boy had.

    “He’s got a point,” I whispered, walking forward and lowering the gun. I didn’t think we’d need it. Doctor Saltire sighed, running a hand through his wavy, red hair.

    “Yes, I know, I know,” he said quietly. “But James… James must still bear the consequences of what he’s done. I know I pushed him to it, but… but men have died. The news of your kidnapping, Arthur, has no doubt spread throughout England. Someone must answer for this mess.”

    He ran his hand through his hair again, looking at Sherlock and then back at his sons.

    “But… James,” he said, his voice low. “I know of a way to free you from blame.”

    James stayed silent.

    “But you must swear that you will stay out of my sight forever,” he said, his booming voice returning. “And that you will never lay a finger on my son again, or the wrath of all the gods be on you!”

    “I swear,” James said. “I swear on the thrones of Olympus and the River Styx!”

    “Good!” Doctor Saltire exclaimed. “Than you will be put on the next flight to New York. I’m sending you back to Camp Halfblood.”

    “You still have the kidnapping and the murder of Professor Heidegger to answer to,” I said.

    “Yes, but don’t you see?” Sherlock said, his eyebrows raised. “Those crimes were committed by Mr. Roy, the poor owner of a run down bar, desperate for a little money, who escaped to India after the police caught onto his trail.”

    “Oh,” I whispered, smiling. “I see.”

    “Yes, Mr. Holmes and I will make sure the case is resolved,” Doctor Saltire said with a nod.

    “But… but what about me, father?” Arthur said, quietly.

    “What about you, Arthur?” Doctor Saltire mumbled, nervously.

    “My case isn’t resolved,” Arthur said. “You still haven’t told me who my mother was or where I’m going to go.”

    “You don’t need to go anywhere, my son!”

    “We both know that’s not true,” Arthur replied. “There are monsters more ferocious than the manticore out there. And now that I’m old enough, more will be coming for me.” He took a deep breath. “I need to go to one of the demigod camps, too.”

    Doctor Saltire sighed, wiping his forehead with his sleeve.

    “I had hoped…” he cleared his throat and wiped his eyes. “I had hoped I might be able to protect you… So that you could stay with me… I don’t want to lose you.”

    “You won’t lose me, dad,” Arthur said with a smile. “You’d be protecting me by sending me to one of those camps.”

    Doctor Saltire sighed, deeply. He looked from Arthur to James.

    “Then I will send you with James to the Camp,” he said, wearily. “And unless, James, you want to suffer forever in the Styx, you will protect your brother.”

    “I will, sir,” James said, standing. “And… I’m sorry…” He hesitated, and then hissed, “Oh, mother, forgive me! I am sorry for all the pain I’ve caused, father. I’m sorry!”

    He looked as if a great weight had been lifted from his shoulders. He looked broader than before.

    And I could see the resemblance better.

    Doctor Saltire nodded, and though his face was solemn, I could see the emotion in his eyes.

    He turned to Sherlock and then, reaching into his coat pocket, he pulled out a small slip of paper.

    A check.

    He handed it to Sherlock.

    “Thank you for all you’ve done, Mr. Holmes,” he said. “Thank you, a thousand times.” Sherlock nodded, taking the check.

    “My work here is done,” he said, nodding to Arthur and James. “But I’m sure this won’t be the last time I’ll see you, Doctor Saltire. After all, we still have many reports to give.” He smiled, and then he gestured for me as he walked toward the door. I glanced at Arthur and James, and then at Doctor Saltire. Awkwardly I ran toward the door. Before I exited, I glanced back at Arthur.

    He gave me a quick half-grin and waved.

    “Bye,” I whispered, and then left.

    I caught up to Sherlock and then handed him the gun. He took it.

    I felt strange. It was hard to pinpoint… But I felt as if there was a hole in my heart.

    “That’s… it?” I said as we walked down the road toward the main street, to hail a cab, I guessed.

    “What do you mean?” Sherlock said, staring at me in confusion. “We just defeated two manticores, found the Saltire boy, and solved their family problems. And all you can say is ‘that’s it’?”

    “I mean… I don’t know…” I said, “It just doesn’t feel… resolved.”

    “Well, did you want to accompany them to Camp Halfblood?” Sherlock asked.

    “No,” I said, indignantly.

    “Then there’s nothing else to be done,” he said, looking for a cab as we approached the street. “Doctor Saltire will give the report to the police and the press, I’ll give my piece, the boys will go off to Camp Halfblood… What else were you expecting?”

    “A Hallmark ending,” I murmured. Sherlock looked at me and smirked. I looked him in the face.

    And I couldn’t help but smirk too.

*・゜゚・*:.。.:**・゜゚・*:.。.:**・゜゚・*:.。.:**・゜゚・*:.。.:**・゜゚・*:.。.:**・゜゚・*:.。.:**・

And so the mystery is resolved!

But if you think that is the end of Cecilia's tale...

Think again.

Mwahahaha.

Unfortunately, though, this tale must be put on hold, because I won't be able to post again until next Sunday! *cue boos and cries of disappointment* But don't worry, I promise I will post as soon as I get back from my trip! Thanks for being awesome!! Don't forget to vote and comment!! ^_^

Love you all! <3 Talk to you later!

~Mary P.J.