Chapter 22

Hallooooo everybody!

I am leaving to go on a week-long mission trip on Sunday, and unfortunately I won't be able to post while I'm there! So here's an extra long chapter, and I'll be sure to post one more tomorrow before I leave! ^_^

Love you all! Thank you so much for reading, voting, and commenting! It means so much to me.

~Mary P.J.

P.S.: And GUYS!!! I found an actress that looks really similar to how I always imagined Cecilia!! (Except Cecilia has black, curly hair.) Her name is Kaya Scodelario, and I'm going to post the picture that I saw that looks like her! ^.^ Look for it on the sidebar!

*・゜゚・*:.。.:**・゜゚・*:.。.:**・゜゚・*:.。.:**・゜゚・*:.。.:**・゜゚・*:.。.:**・゜゚・*:.。.:**・

"Are you sure this is safe?" Arthur asked as we approached the house.

"Of course it is. Why wouldn't it be?" Sherlock said, jogging up the porch steps.

"Well, I know the manticores are dead, but what if James hired other monsters?" Arthur stopped in front of the steps and I paused next to him. He looked at me, his shaggy blonde hair falling into his eyes.

"And... and what if my dad knew where I was all along?" he whispered. "What if that's why he didn't get a ransom note? What if he was in on it? He... he never really cared about me all that much, anyway..." he kicked at the ground, nervously clenching his fists. "You should take me back to the Priory before you confront him. Please?"

I put my hand on his shoulder and he glanced at me.

"Listen, Arthur," I said, firmly. "When we talked with your dad yesterday, he was genuinely concerned about you. He's a big man, right?"

Arthur nodded hesitantly.

"And he doesn't show emotion very often, does he? He keeps it bottled up inside?" I should know what that's like.

Arthur nodded again.

"Well, believe me when I tell you he was worried. Very worried. I don't think he'd make a very good actor, so his concern must've been genuine. Why would he be so concerned if he didn't care about you?" I smiled at him. "I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation for everything. Now let's go find out what it is, eh?"

He took a deep breath and nodded. I turned and walked up the stairs and Arthur followed. I looked into Sherlock's eyes.

And for a moment, I thought he might be proud of me.

We walked up to the door and Sherlock knocked four times.

"By the way, Cecilia," he said, reaching into his long black coat. "You don't happen to know how to use one of these, do you?"

He reached over his shoulder and handed me a revolver. I grasped it, raising an eyebrow. He winked.

"Where'd you get this?" I said, placing my hand on my hip. "I thought you'd left your revolver?"

"I did. I found this one outside the bar. It used to belong to Mr. Roy- he must've misplaced it when he returned from his battle with you. Do you know how to use it? It's loaded."

I cocked it and Arthur's eyes grew wide.

"There's always a first time for everything."

Sherlock grinned.

"You're... you're not going to shoot James, are you?" Arthur cried. Before I could reply, he exclaimed, "Please don't, Cecilia! He's my friend."

I stared at him.