Chapter 11: A New Frontier

Start from the beginning

Thinking about what to do was keeping him up, as the possible scenarios excited him. Finally, not long after noticing that it was 3 AM, a plan started to form in Midoriya's mind. After mulling over the details of it for a bit, sleep took over when the plan satisfied him.

Walking to school Monday morning, Izuku felt a bit groggy. Only a couple hours of sleep again. He could have waited to think up a plan for Tooru's next visit, but his eagerness from the night before got the best of him. Midoriya planned to reveal his new relationship status with Hagakure amongst his friends first then ask her on another date after school. As he walked inside the school grounds, he saw Mashirao talking to Koji on a nearby bench, the same one as last time.

Ojiro noticed the green haired teen's presence as he approached and said, "Morning Midoriya-kun."

Izuku replied, "Morning guys. You cheering up Koda-san again?"

Nodding the tailed teen stated, "Yep. I've been trying to convince him to come to my place so we can study together."

Koji was quick to shake his head and hands in response.

Mashirao sighed before saying, "But as you can see that's not happening." He then turned to his large friend and said, "You used to come to my house all the time when we were in middle school, what changed?"

Koda just poked his two index fingers together not saying a thing.

The tailed teen then asked, "If I copy my notes from the study sessions I've been having with Yaoyorozu-san, will you use them?"

Koji closed his eyes as he thought about the offer, but eventually opened them and gave a thumbs up.

Getting up, Ojiro stated, "Good, I'll get them copied and have them for you tomorrow."

The three teens then made their way towards class, with Izuku and Mashirao side by side with Koji just behind the pair. Ojiro gave a slight grin after having taken a couple steps and said, "So how was yesterday?"

"I'll give you the full details at lunch," Izuku stated sternly.

This comment only widened the tailed teen's grin as he said, "Ah, so one of you confessed to the other. That's good to hear."

Trying to hold it together, Midoriya responded, "W-Wait, what makes you s-say that?"

Pointing at his friend's face, Mashirao replied, "You're looking to be in a particularly good mood this morning despite the bags under your eyes. Plus, you wanting to wait until lunch to tell me about it? I figure that means you wanna tell everyone at the table else about it, so obviously, you're gonna announce good news about yesterday."

With a defeated tone in his voice, Izuku asked, "Am I that easy to read?"

"Nah, I'm just that good at this sort of thing," Ojiro stated proudly. He then gave a decent slap to Midroiya's back as he said, "Regardless, good job buddy. You finally got your girl."

The teens were just a hallway away from class, but a soft voice from behind the pair made the two stop and turn slowly. "I aspire that your rapport with Hagakure-san is vigorous and protracted." It was Koji. It was the first time Izuku had ever heard his voice. The voice was bit raspy as if he needed water, but Midoriya figured it was because he talked so little.

Putting a hand on the large teen's shoulder, Mashirao stated, "That's a very kind thing for you to say Koda-san." The tailed teen then darted his eyes to Izuku and then with the emphasis on his free hand, pointed from below his waistline towards Koji.

Oh, he wants me to encourage Koda's behavior, Midoriya thought. Getting the point, he said, "Yes, thank you Koda-san. I'll be sure to make Hagakure-san happy."

After giving a slow nod, Koji then walked past the two to get to class.

As Izuku watched Koda put distance between the pair, he asked, "What just happened?"

"I told you he could speak, it just isn't very often," Ojiro said as he shrugged.

Turning to his tailed friend Midoriya asked with more emphasis, "Yes, that I understand, but why now?

Mashirao closed his eyes and crossed his arms as he thought for a moment. Eventually, he pointed upwards after opening his eyes and explained, "Koda-san likes cute things. Like a lot. He probably sees you and Hagakure-san together as a cute couple. Hence him wishing you luck with her."

The green haired teen asked another question, "But how would he know we look cute together? He hasn't seen us interact outside of school."

More time passed as the tailed teen thought of an answer. "Since he doesn't speak, he reads more into things by observing. Even subtle body language probably speaks volumes to him about a person. He probably learned more than enough about you two just from your small interactions in-between classes, even considering Hagakure-san's quirk," the tailed teen explained with care in his voice.

"That's amazing," Izuku said with wonder in his voice.

Ojiro quickly replied, "I know right? It took me some months to see this habit of his in our last school. If he wasn't so nervous about everything I betcha he'd be a great hero if he put such an emphasis into his hero work. But fixing this kind of problem will take time I suppose."

Koji reminded Izuku of himself before he met Tooru. Of being socially awkward and letting it hinder his potential as a person, and eventually as a potential hero. Of course, Midoriya's social standing with others was nowhere near as low as Koda's as he refused to speak most of the time, but he could still relate to the large teen's problems. He then felt determined that at some point he wanted to help Koji with his issues. He was a pal of Mashirao's, and it just seemed like the right thing to do anyway. Izuku considered helping him during the summer camp training.

The pair arrived at their classroom and Midoriya breathed deeply. Just have to get through morning classes, then comes the reveal, he thought.