Great Advice from the Conscience

Chapter 28

It took me longer than ever to dig the rest of my hole. I honestly didn't want to go back to camp. "Maybe I can runaway and live alone in the desert with a bunch of lizards, or better yet die." I said.

What have you done to yourself Kat? You've lost your best friend...all your friends in fact. But most of all you lost Squid, the one guy you actually fell in love with. You are such a bitch. My conscious told me.

"I know, I think I should just die right here and now, and leave it all behind." I replied.

No, you're stronger than that. Truthfully it wasn't your fault, Magnet came onto you, not you onto him. You just need to tell Squid that. My conscious changed its course.

"How? He hates me now..." I asked.

I dunno I'm just a conscious! You have to do it yourself. My conscious faded away.

"I dunno I'm just a conscious!" I mimicked sarcastically. "I'm going fucking insane and talking to myself in a desert!" I screamed. My voice sort of echoed through the holes. I had run out of tears to cry so I ended up sighing profusely. I heaved my self out of my hole and lay staring at the color changing sky. Tiny pinpoints of light started to appear. They only just reminded me of that night with Squid. When I found out that he liked me. Okay you are going to fix this! I determinedly rolled over and pushed myself up. There was a figure in front of me. Zigzag. I looked him in the eyes. "Did you here all of that?" I asked.

"Yeh." He said.

"What did he say?"

"He's not happy..."

"Pissed off?"

"More than that..."

"Great..." My tears had come back and I started to whimper. I was at the lowest of my low.

"Aw, Kat..." Zigzag wrapped his arms around me and hugged me tightly. A friend and friend hug just to be clear. I clung on back.

"Y-you have to believe me it wasn't me who kissed Magnet...He kissed me! I never wanted him..."

"I believe you...Mag said he was going to talk to Squid...When we can find him..."

"What do you mean?"

"Well after I talked to him in the tent, he said he was going for a walk. He hasn't come back."

"Oh..." The dinner bell rang.

"Come on, lets get to dinner."

"No." I pulled away from Zigzag and stared him right in the eyes. "This time I'm not going in."

"But-"

"No, I'm not doing it. I'll eat my snacks, and there's nothing you can do to stop me." He tried to protest but I silenced him and started to walk for the tent. Zig ran and caught up with me and didn't talk until we were back on campus. There was no one around; I guessed they were all eating.

"You gonna be okay, here by yourself?" Zigzag asked.

"It's better that way." I smiled at him as I walked over to my bed and pulled out my iPod. I lay down on hard mattress. Zigzag seemed to linger at the tent flap for a moment but then he disappeared. I played my little iPod and ironically it played these songs; Without You, On My Own, Someone Like You, Thinking Of You... and many more. I kinda drifted into my thoughts and I didn't notice my tent mates walk in without Squid. I only came out of my thoughts when Charlie whacked me on the head with her book. A good sign. I pulled out my headphones.

"What was that for?" I asked.

"That was for being a bitch!" She said.

"Thanks..." I smiled. "So, can we be friends?"

"No." She laughed, "We can be mortal enemies!"

"Yay!" I laughed. That was Charlie's way of forgiving someone. I think she just added the book for effect.

"Is that seriously how girls make up?" Armpit said.

"Nope, that's how we make up!" I said happily, but I turned serious. I needed information. "Are you all mad at me?" There was a hesitated silence until X-Ray spoke up.

"Not entirely. But, what you did was pretty bad." He answered.

"Magnet can tell you the truth." I almost hissed. Magnet looked to the floor. I guessed he knew he was on my list with Stanley, Mr. Sir and Mr. P.

"Yes Magnet, do tell us everything..." Charlie said scornfully. Magnet blushed and started the story as I put in my headphones. His speech was finished by the time Mr. P came and turned out the lights.

"Where's Alan?" he questioned.

"Well he had to go to the toilet." I said.

"Oh, right then. Se you in the morning!" He wandered out leaving us in darkness. Right, I've got my friends back. Now for the hard part...if only he would show up. I lay in the darkness as the tent slowly fell asleep. My eyelids were heavy but I heard a noise. The flaps of the tent opened and Squid wandered in. He walked over to me. Of which I closed my eyes tight and pretend to be asleep. He knelt right next to my face, I could hear him breathing. I looked through my eyelashes at him. He had been crying since his eyes were sort of puffy and shiny. He took off his hat and unraveled the cloth. His hair was as amazing as always, I literally wanted to get out of the pretend sleep and hug him but I was curious for what was going to come next. He stared at me. He didn't know I was staring at him back. He leaned in and rested his head on the side of my bed where my face was. My tent mates were fast asleep and snoring. Suddenly, Squid looked up and hovered over my face with his. I tried my hardest not to move. Then he planted a kiss on my cheek and turned away. He leapt into his bed and rolled away from me. My lips curled into a smile as I really closed my eyes. Maybe this will be easier than I thought...