Can You Hear the Empty Spaces?

Chapter 13     

    I was now ahead of Stanley in the water line. I decided that that jerk off shouldn’t be better than me and Zero. I was so close to pulling Zero in front of Stanley but he gave me a look saying ‘Don’t, people will ask me stupid things’ so I left him there. Mr. Pendanski was filling our canteens in the death rays of the sun. That morning I spoke as little as possible to Magnet, I tried even harder not to look him in the eyes. I had to clear my mind. When is X-Ray going to show off the lipstick? X hadn’t talked about it all morning and even when Stanley asked him about it he just shoved past him and asked what he was talking about. As I took a swig from my canteen I saw from the corner of my eye that X-Ray took the tube out of his pocket and placed it in the sand. He then bent over, picked it up and yelled at Pendanski.   

“Hey Mom! Think I found something!”  He was pinching the lipstick case in between his fingers. Stanley wasn’t pleased; he threw his hands on his head and squinted at X-Ray. I shrugged my shoulders and went back to digging my hole. Pendanski walked over to X. “Looks like a-a golden bullet or something,” Pendanski examined it, “It’s nice right? I get the day off now right?” The boys crowded round to hear what Pendanski would say. I strained my ears to listen.   

“You just might. I’m gonna call The Warden.” Pendanski fumbled with his walkie-talkie. He looked excited, real excited. ”Lou, I think we’ve found something-”

“Found something nice!” Interrupted X-Ray.

“I think we’ve found something nice!” I stopped working and dropped my shovel into my hole as I climbed out. I went over to Zigzag and Squid.

“What do you think she’ll do?” I whispered to them.

“Well, if she likes it, I bet she’s gonna makes us dig bigger holes. But if she doesn’t like it, she’ll just make us dig bigger holes as punishment.” Muttered Zigzag.

“Either way, we aren’t gonna like it!” said Squid. We waited for what seemed like forever. By the time a nice looking crystal clean white 1957 Chrysler was seen in the horizon, I seemed to have some nice tan lines. Soon enough it skidded to a halt next to the blue truck. The boys and Pendanski looked nervous, it seemed to me that the only things they were actually afraid of were yellow spotted lizards and The Warden. A brown cowboy boot attached to some jeans appeared out of it as the door swung open.  Then the next one came. The door slammed shut. On the other side was Mr. Sir.

“Oh man…” Armpit huffed as he picked up his shovel and continued to work. We all copied, we didn’t want to look like slackers. The only one who kept staring was Stanley; it was obvious he hadn’t seen her before. She was wearing a slightly floral top tucked into her belt. Her eyes were yet again covered by the Ray bans and her hair tied into a ponytail under her cowboy hat. The Warden and Mr. Sir walked over to Pendanski and took the lipstick tube from him.

“Right over there…” said Pendanski, pointing at X-Ray’s hole. The Warden took off the Ray bans and examined the tube. Mr. Sir eyed it from a distance. I almost laughed at him; he was the most afraid of her! The Warden looked back at Pendanski. He smiled timidly. The Warden smiled broadly and went over to X-Ray. We all stopped digging.

“This where you found it?” she stared down at X-Ray. He looked back into his holed then looked her dead in the eye.

“Yes, mam.” He was grinning, and so was The Warden. She turned back to Pendanski.

“Mr. Pendanski, drive X-Ray back to camp. Give him double shower tokens…and a snack.” I licked my lips. I feel like a snack, I guess I’ll just have one when we get back! I think gummy bears might satisfy my hunger. I looked around. All the guys were licking their lips. Snacks for everyone! I decided. “But first, fill everyone’s canteens!” The Warden announced.

“I’ve already filled them.” Pendanski looked proud. That was not the right thing to say! The Warden swiveled around and glared at Pendanski.

“Excuse me?”

“I had already filled them when you drove up in the car.”

“Excuse me?” she put on her Ray bans and put her hands on her hips, “Did I ask you when you last filled them?”

“No you didn’t but-“

“Excuse me,” she walked past him and towards Stanley. Pendanski bit his lip, “these fine boys and girl have been working hard, and don’t you think it might be possible they have taken a drink since you filled their canteens?” Pendanski looked away and nodded.

“Its possible…”

“Oh it’s possible is it,” she said to him. Mr. Sir chuckled to himself softly. It was really quite disturbing since he looked like he was constipated. “Caveman!” The Warden shouted. Stanley looked astounded. “Come over here please.”

“Get over there!” said Mr. Sir trying not to look constipated. Stanley leapt out of his hole and quickly moved towards The Warden. He took off his hat and tried to look nice. Pendanski was not a happy person. I was! “Now did you by any chance take a drink since he filled your canteen?”

“Oh, no I’m fine. I have plenty!”  Idiot! That was a mistake.

“Excuse me?” She took a step towards him. Stanley was frozen solid.

“I might of, uh…uh drinkin’ some…” he corrected.

“Thank you. May I have your canteen please?” Mr. Sir just shitted himself. I looked away; this was getting funny.

“Oh god…” muttered Pendanski. Squid and Zigzag snickered. Stanley handed his canteen over to The Warden and she walked over to Pendanski. She shook it in front of his face. The water splashed around.

“Can you hear the empty spaces?”

“Yes I can hear.”  The Warden pushed the canteen into his chest.

“Fill it. If that’s too much trouble you can grab a shovel and Caveman can fill the canteens!”  Pendanski grumbled and walked over to the truck. I smiled. I was starting to like The Warden a bit more. Suddenly Mr. Sir started to shout at us.

“Alright, Armpit! Squid! Get them wheelbarrows outta the truck.”  Squid and Armpit hopped out of their holes and ran over to the truck.

“Zero! You take over X-Ray’s hole!” The tiny, speedy digger gripped his shovel and climbed into X-Ray’s hole. “Caveman, Zigzag and Ember will assist yah! We’re gonna dig this dirt twice.” How did she know my name?

“Ya’ll be good down here!” X-Ray laughed from the truck giving us a little wave good-bye as it motored off. I walked over to X-Ray’s hole. Squid zoomed past me with a wheelbarrow.

“Get all the tents down here!” Mr. Sir hollered.

“Told you she’d make us dig bigger!” He whispered. I smiled at him and he smiled back. I then hopped into the hole and started shoveling sand.