~Chapter Twenty-One~

Start from the beginning

But when she became my financial assistant, I couldn't help falling in love with her.

                                                           *****

Sabine

I'm getting so excited for my wedding day next month. I have my final wedding gown fitting this afternoon. My mom and Aunt Ava are coming with me. It's important to Shayne, that his aunt be a part of this wedding since his mom isn't here. I'm happy he has her, she loves him so much. My mom thinks he's the greatest thing, since sliced bread. He eats up the attention.

I still can't wrap my mind around the fact, that the two of us are getting married. I never saw this coming, especially after our first meeting.

Flashback. . .

I had phoned Bianca while she was in London. I wanted to talk to her about Shayne. "Hey Bianca, what's wrong?" She sounded upset.

"Where do I begin?. . ." Her hurt was so strong—I felt it through the phone.

"I thought you'd be on cloud 9–spending time in England, with Colin! By the way, his brother Shayne, is absolutely gorgeous. He has grey eyes like his cousin, Greyson. He said his father had grey eyes. He showed me a picture of their parents. Colin looks just like his mother and Shayne looks like their father. I gave him a tour of Carrington Enterprises today." I didn't want to burden her with my disappointment. She sounded like she needed a listening ear. So I let my friend vent her frustrations.

I hung up the phone with her, and wished I could tell her about my experience giving Shayne a tour at Carrington Enterprises. He flirted with all of the women that came out of the woodwork to meet him. He forgot all about the fact, I was there to tour him around and help him get acclimated.

I became invisible to him and obviously was of little account. He was busy grinning from ear to ear, getting phone numbers. One woman was so bold, as to write her number in the palm of his hand. He was in his glory, with all of his attention. He was one of the long lost Carrington brothers.

It didn't help, that he was absolutely gorgeous, single, and rich beyond imagination. Everyone was hoping to marry one of the newest Carringtons. It was a single ladies dream, and all the buzz in Dallas. Colin seemed to already have feelings for Bianca, so everyone was clamoring for Shayne to notice them.

I stood to the side for a long while, leaning against a corridor wall. Then got fed up. "Shall we begin our tour, or do you need to get more phone numbers? I'm a very busy woman, Mr. Carrington. I take my job seriously, and I'd appreciate it if you don't waste my time. You can speak to the other employees on your time." I had to put my foot down—enough was enough. He let me give him a tour, without any further interruptions, surprisingly.

I gave him a very boring generic tour. My defensive walls immediately, went up like a fortress around me. Putting distance between us was best. I felt he was very self centered, with a huge ego. He was very confident! I'm sure he has been told many times, how handsome he is. After the tour, I quickly departed from his presence. I felt mentally drained and affronted. I didn't expect to feel this way. I had a secret crush on him. I needed to stay far away from, Shayne Carrington. He would never care about someone unimportant like me. I would only be heartbroken, with someone like him.

End of Flashback. . .

When I agreed to become Shayne's financial assistant, I started seeing him in a different light. The way he treated his staff was unexpected. He was genuinely, a nice person to work for and with. He cared about everyone who worked on his team. He made us all feel like his equal. I was flabbergasted, to say the least.

He was very conscious of regularly ordering food for lunch, if we were working late. He did all of this at his own expense. Even when Carrington Enterprises was losing a lot of money. He wanted his employees to enjoy their job, and he truly cared about his financial department.

He began to give my aching shoulder muscles a gentle massage. "You need to take a break, and get something to eat. I ordered food for our department, since everyone is working late," He put his lips to my ear, speaking in a whisper-like tone.

I was amazed. My heart started doing funny things, in response to his light touch—but I ignored it.

"I'm glad to see you eating, Sabine. You worked through lunch again, today." He gave me the most brilliant smile.

He made it a point to get to know his employees. He made sure to ask their opinion and suggestions to help, with Carrington Enterprises' financial crisis. Everyone felt valued and wanted to give their all in lending support.

"Jody, what are you doing here today? Is your daughter feeling better? I gave you time off to take care of her for a reason." He stared at her for an explanation, with his arms folded and standing next to her desk.

"Mr. Carrington, my mother is staying with us for a few days to help take care of Abby. Thank you so much for your concern." She reassured him and got back to work.

It's all of the little things he did, that started my journey to taking notice. I fell more and more in love with him. The day he showed up at my apartment, with Mexican food from my favorite restaurant captured my heart. He knew I had been hurt by Skyler. When he told me, I looked perfect, with red puffy eyes and no makeup—I was a goner. My heart belonged to him from that moment on. . . .

Votes and Comments are Appreciated ❤️